Sleeping during the day?

Blubbybish

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 75%nosy be 25% ambilobe panther chameleon, male, and about 9 months old. I got him 5 days ago.
  • Handling - I’ve handled him once since I’ve got him just to move his cage so he didn’t get shook around on the inside.
  • Feeding - Gutloaded crickets sprinkled with calcium dust. He’s been eating about 12 small crickets. Everyday in the afternoon. I gut load the crickets by feeding them collard greens and carrots.
  • Supplements - I use repticalcium without d3 daily I also have repticalcium with d3 and reptizoo multivitamin
  • Watering - I use the Mistking V5 and a water dripper. I mist three times a day for 10 mins. I haven’t seen him drink yet.
  • Fecal Description - It’s been white with a tiny bit of brown. I’m not sure if he’s been tested for parasites.
  • History - He was sent to me from Kammerflage Creations.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 2x2x4
  • Lighting - 100w basking lamp, reptisun 5.0 HO T5 UVB Lamp, 24 W, 22"
  • Temperature - Basking is 80 degrees and lower in the cage is about 70. Lowest overnight temp is 65. I have thermometers placed on the inside.
  • Humidity - averagely 80. Misting and live plants to maintain it. I use a humidity gauge placed inside.
  • Plants - I have 5 live plants inside. A hibiscus, a fern, a pathos plant, and two little ones I think the store had labeled them floridas paradise not sure.
  • Placement - The cage is located in my room. It’s not by any fans vents and not much traffic in there as I don’t usually stay in here unless I’m going to bed. The top of the cage is about 5 1/2 feet on the stand.
  • Location - I’m located in Louisiana.

Current Problem - He seemed fine the first few days in his cage. And eats a lot. But I noticed today he was at his basking spot with his eyes closed but everytime I got closer sometimes it seemed he was just looking down. So I left him alone for a while then he got into sleeping position eyes closed and tail curled up under his basking light. Then I put some crickets in his cage and he uncurled and ate all of them. And he seemed fine and I left and came back and he was walking around again. I had tried looking up if it was normal and a lot of things said it was a sign of illness. But some things said it was normal. Does anyones else do this? Should I be worried?

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post some photos of the cage including the lights and of the chameleon too please?
The blue picture is him normally. The brownish is him this morning basking. With a picture of his cage set up.

Attachments

• 5AAC7DE3-C892-4CF9-A196-2BDB6460A1E4.png
    5AAC7DE3-C892-4CF9-A196-2BDB6460A1E4.png
    753.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 7CDE47F9-8588-479D-9627-00668AA03C7D.jpeg
    7CDE47F9-8588-479D-9627-00668AA03C7D.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 88
  • C6204A76-AE3C-4E94-B69A-92268EC18955.jpeg
    C6204A76-AE3C-4E94-B69A-92268EC18955.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 90
You can try bigger crickets and more variety of insects...silkworms, roaches, bsfl's, etc. Do you feed every day? How often domyounuse the calcium/D3 and vitamins? What form of vitamin A is in the vitamins?

@Beman knows more about the lights than I do...so I've tagged her to help.

Eyes being closed can be a sign of illness but you said you think he was only looking down. It's common for them to get ready for bed a little before the lights go out as well.

You can try bigger crickets and more variety of insects...silkworms, roaches, bsfl's, etc. Do you feed every day? How often domyounuse the calcium/D3 and vitamins? What form of vitamin A is in the vitamins?

Eyes being closed can be a sign of illness but you said you think he was only looking down. It's common for them to get ready for bed a little before the lights go out as well.
I should go bug shopping today so I’ll definitely get him some variety. He does eat every day with calcium everyday. D3 I’ve given him once so far since I got him last week. And I’m not sure how to check what type of vitamin a bc on the back in the ingredients it just says vitamin a. I wasn’t worried till I saw his tail curled up bc it was noon so it was too early for him to get ready for bed.

Do you want me to do a husbandry review?

Position of T5HO fixture in relation to the basking branch is a bit too close from what I am looking at. Should be more like 8-9 inches away for the correct UVI level. Betting basking is quite a bit hotter then 80 with a 100 watt bulb. Humidity is much too high for daytime. Should be 50-60% max.

I would love to see a picture of the reptizoo multivitamin.

Position of T5HO fixture in relation to the basking branch is a bit too close from what I am looking at. Should be more like 8-9 inches away for the correct UVI level. Betting basking is quite a bit hotter then 80 with a 100 watt bulb. Humidity is much too high for daytime. Should be 50-60% max.

Thank you so much for the tips. This is the multivitamin. I made a mistake it’s reptivite from zoo med. my brain accidentally put reptizoo together lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 65
Thank you so much for the tips. This is the multivitamin. I made a mistake it’s reptivite from zoo med. my brain accidentally put reptizoo together lol.
So with this one you would only use the reptivite with D3 two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Then at all other feedings you want to use the calcium WITHOUT D3. You will not use any other supplementation with these two.

Just wanted you to talk about the lights like you did!

Just wanted you to talk about the lights like you did!
I really appreciate all the tips. I love learning more so any tips are appreciated. I fixed it lower how y’all suggested. He looked much better today so maybe I was overreacting. He didn’t look like he was sleeping during the day today but I’ll keep an eye on him the next few days just to be sure.

Attachments

• 704A7610-A387-4A55-B2A3-770E3B3561F2.jpeg
    704A7610-A387-4A55-B2A3-770E3B3561F2.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom