Sleeping during the day

xarctic

My cham has started to sleep during the day and is just generally lethargic and keeps one of his eyes closed a lot. He wont even open it when I am holding him which is very weird. That eye I am noticing is producing some sort of discharge and I gave him a shower on a tree to help get it out the other day but its back again. Please help somethings wrong.

If he has discharge coming out then he needs to be seen by a vet. That would indicate infection and will not get better from showers. Please fill out the ask for help form in the health clinic so we can see if anything in your set up is causing him problems. Also, it would be a good idea when you get him to the vet to get a fresh fecal sample so he can be tested for parasites. Atleast you can rule that out then if he is negative.

Okay I will, I'm looking for vets near me that can handle him. He has also recently reached sexual maturity and is now producing sperm plugs often. It looks like its surrounding his poop literally every time he poops. I'm not sure if thats really what that is or not but I thought I would mention it.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon -Panther, male, 8-9 months old, had him for about 5 months
Handling - Everyday, just putting him on his tree on the porch.
Feeding - I feed him mealworms, crickets, and the occasional superworm or wax worm. Gut load with various vegetables and fruit.
Supplements - Reptivite once or twice a month, calcium three times a week, calcium with d3 twice a week.
Watering - I have a mister i use, I spray his cage 3 times a day and when its raining outside i usually will spray his cage a lot. He drinks every time I spray sometimes straight from the nozzel.
Fecal Description - Normal mostly but now covered in a substance that seems like sperm, never been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Medium sized screen cage
Lighting - Have a heat bulb and a reptisun uvb bulb, I turn his uvb on at 11 and his heat bulb they go off at 4 but he is next to a window so he has light all day.
Temperature - Basking is about 80-85, lowest temp is 76. Have thermometer. In Florida it never gets very cold.
Humidity - I don't have a gauge so I'm not sure, I mist a lot and he goes outside often.
Plants - I have one big pothos
Placement - top of the cage goes up about 5 feet next to a window
Location - Plant City Florida (Near Tampa)

There are a few things I would change. I would up his basking temp to around 90. They like it warm, well atleast my panthers do. I am also in Florida. I do not give my chameleons any aritificial d3 as they are outside everyday. Giving it to him twice a week is a bit much, and could be harmful depending on what brand you are using. Different brands contain different concentrations of it. If you are taking him outside often he probably does not even need it. If anything cut it back to twice a month like most of the members on here do. The coating on the poop...is it clear and jelly like? If so, that is not sperm. I am glad you are taking him to a vet. He might just need a antibiotic eye ointment.

Okay will do. Thank you. The coating on the poop is jelly like and sort of white. I'm hoping thats all he needs

Back
Top Bottom