Sleeping concern

SaintJimmy

Avid Member
Okay so a while ago I posted worrying about Monty being lethargic and sleeping a bit earlier during the day.

This is summer and there is no excuse for him to be sleeping this early! It's 5:00 and he usually sleeps at around 6:30-8:00 PM.

I can copy paste a "how to ask for help" from a while ago (nothing has changed) but I don't see the point at this point.

I don't know how long he was sleeping, but I came home and gently touched his tail and he woke up. Now he's sleeping again.

Advice? Should I get a fecal done?

He is sitting on my head right now. He is making this low vibration noise right next to my ear. He is in his sleeping colors and is laying very low to my skin like he is trying to hang on.

I knew they made vibrations, but I thought it was in too low of hertz for us to hear? He did it right next to my ear and it sounded like .. weird.

like an industrial fan

Last edited:
It sounded like this

http://youtu.be/WedvnI3L8dg?t=30s

I woke him up and held him for like 30 minutes and misted him with warm water. He was very cold. I noticed he is not basking as much as he used to.

I let him back in the cage and he is sitting at the top, normal colors, just staring at dripping water.

He drank a little when I dropped water on his face but that was it.

Sorry if I am breaking the rules by reposting a thousand times but I really want someone to notice this.

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2685.jpg
    IMG_2685.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I understand your concern.

Here, why don't you supply me with these, for I think I ran into a situation very similar to yours:

- What time do your lights come on in the morning?
- Go off at night?
- Is he being normal otherwise? Appetite, strong grip on branches, basking normally, etc? Is he alert when he is awake?
- Does he find a shady spot to snooze later on in the day, or is it under direct lighting?

If your situation was like mine, these will help me see that.

Edit: I see now that you say he isn't basking as often, sorry I suppose I didn't catch that the first time.

Last edited:
I understand your concern.

Here, why don't you supply me with these, for I think I ran into a situation very similar to yours:

- What time do your lights come on in the morning?
- Go off at night?
- Is he being normal otherwise? Appetite, strong grip on branches, basking normally, etc? Is he alert when he is awake?
- Does he find a shady spot to snooze later on in the day, or is it under direct lighting?

If your situation was like mine, these will help me see that.

Edit: I see now that you say he isn't basking as often, sorry I suppose I didn't catch that the first time.

Lights come on with a timer at 6:30 and go off at 6:30, but I JUST changed it to that.

My dad had it for 3 days going off at 9 and coming on at like 8.

He is excited for food, but usually he is more alert.. He is barely moving around the cage except to eat or sleep, he moves to a lower branch to sleep in the same spot every night.

Recently he is not shooting his tongue as far, he is sticking the tip out forever, then sticking it back in. Then I push the bug by his face and he bites it off.

That sounds a little funky. Perhaps it is similar to the situation I ran into, though if he has truly changed his behavior, it may be more.

I'll wait for another user to chime in.

Here's what Max and I went through:

His lights were going off at 7 or so, but around 5-6 he would actually settle in to sleep. A few other forum members and myself narrowed it down to this: he had a clear view of the windows in my room. As the sun started to go down, he was getting the feeling like it was time to start going to sleep (even though the lights above his enclosure were still on).

I did a couple week or so of trails to figure out if this was the case. I had found that the shower curtains that I had covering 3 sides of his screen enclosure were blocking some light near the bottom, and that was where he would go to sleep before lights-out. He was never directly under the light and snoozing.

You change the light when? If you just changed the lights he is probably just adjusting. One hour before lights out is nothing to worry about.

If he is sleeping through the day...

Id recommend.
1. Buying another digital thermometer and make sure your temps are correct.
2. Make sure you have enough lighting.
3. Make sure he has enough stimuli with foliage, climbing vines etc...
4. You may want to consider taking him to a vet for a full check up. Have a fecal done, blood work and have them examine in his mouth, etc..

You change the light when? If you just changed the lights he is probably just adjusting. One hour before lights out is nothing to worry about.

If he is sleeping through the day...

Id recommend.
1. Buying another digital thermometer and make sure your temps are correct.
2. Make sure you have enough lighting.
3. Make sure he has enough stimuli with foliage, climbing vines etc...
4. You may want to consider taking him to a vet for a full check up. Have a fecal done, blood work and have them examine in his mouth, etc..

I changed the lights back to his normal schedule today. A couple days ago the timers were going off later and coming on later too..

We had a digital thermometer but it started reading temps funky so we are still looking to get it replaced.

I have a 60 watt bulb around 2 inches from the top of the screen, the basking temp is around 90 from my estimation..

He has tons of sticks and leaves and vines so that's no problem

I really do want to get him to the vet. I worked most of the summer and haven't gotten paid yet (soon I will be) and will use the money for a checkup.

Hes not near any A/C vents or fans?

If you feel your digital therm is not reading correct. Your problem may lie here.

Hes not near any A/C vents or fans?

If you feel your digital therm is not reading correct. Your problem may lie here.

We haven't been able to get a reading for months now, even after lowering the basking light. It's at least 90 degrees just from holding out my hand. But I'm still not sure. it's hotter than it was, that's for sure..

We moved him far away from any ac. My room's the hottest in the house

early to bed

Most off all my chams are already in their beds (where they sleep) at 90-60 min. before my lights click off. while moving some around to rotate indoor to outdoor or babies from area to another, i have noticed a change of mere minutes can upset their schedule BIG time. they don't like that at all. put the lights on timer(s) & "set it and forget it" as the infomercial says. most everyone here is up and ready for feeders 5-10 min before my lights come on. 7am-7pm.

My cham is on a 6:30-6:30 schedule too and by 5:00 he is usually in his sleeping spot. Still awake and looking around but definitely chilling. My vet has always said that it is normal.

My cham is on a 6:30-6:30 schedule too and by 5:00 he is usually in his sleeping spot. Still awake and looking around but definitely chilling. My vet has always said that it is normal.

Okay cool. Nice to hear so many opinions.

Right now it's 2 hours before bed time and Monty is walking around the middle section of the cage, where he sleeps. he basked for maybe a total of 2 hrs today and explored the cage up down up down up down all day. I swear, he is a crazy boy, looking for a girl.

He has 1 favorite branch to sleep on and he is mainly right there.

Back
Top Bottom