Sleep

JustJay

Do chameleons always hide to sleep? Like is it abnormal for one to sleep out in the open in the night? Cuz my little veiled would hide the 1st week or so and the past couple days he's just kinda gone down to a lil vine I have set up and slept there in plain sight. It's my first chameleon and I've literally been stressing on every little thing he does because I would really hate for something to happen to my new lil homie

Mine used to hide to sleep the first month or so I got him, but now I actually pick him up and put him on the vine right in front of the door. As soon as I turn the lights out he will usually go to bed where ever he just so happens to be. I just move him because he drinks from my misting bottle (I spray drops in front of his face) and he usually likes to drink as soon as he wakes up. So I like to have him where I can easily access him and I like to make sure I actually see him drink if I can. He doesn't seem to mind when I put him to bed and he can obviously move if he wants to, but He just stays put. I also have to orally give him medication once a day and I usually do it right before i put him to bed so putting him front and center is easiest for me.

@JustJay I would say that I would expect babies to be out in the open and at the end of leaves and branches so they can more easily drop to the (forest) floor when disturbed by a possible predator. I've found my babies tend to sleep in the open, so this might be a bias on my part. My adults (several species) change their sleep locations often and in general I find them out in the open. Now the days are getting longer, I turn the lights off before they lose all light in their rooms so where they sleep is their choice as darkness approaches, not a case of the lights going out on them and they are forced to sleep where they happen to be.

Back
Top Bottom