Skittish cham and freeranging??

All chams are different with their own personalities, but with that being said I think that doing a little free ranging is good to help them get extra exercise and to not feel cornered in their cage if you are handling him/her. Mine loves his free range and will crawl out onto my arm now just to get out of his cage, so I think it helped mine. You just have to work with him and very slowly and be patient:)

I hope to get mine to do that.. even when hes basking and you walk in the room he dips out.
Ive had him for a while now too.

You just have to get him used to you. take it very slow and don't force him to do anything, and if he looks too stressed, leave him be for a while and come back to it. you can put a plant next to the cage or a vine leading from the cage into the free range to where he can climb out on his own and leave it for a while to see if he comes out. of course make sure the room is safe and all doors closed so you don't have an escapee lol once he's out you can just get him used to your presence by sitting in the room for a while and read a book or something and the next step once that is going well would be to try to get him to climb on your hand. Just slowly slide your hand under his chin to his belly and gently lift to see if he will climb on you on his own accord. Never pry him off whatever he is on because that can damage his claws, and never rush him. Again, if he gets too stressed leave him alone for a while and come back to it. I did this over a period of a few months with mine, it just takes a lot of time and patience, but it's worth it when you are able to handle them without them having a heart attack about it, especially if you ever have to go to the vet or something and you can start taking him outside to get some sun once you start handling him regularly. Again, all chams have different personalities, but this method worked for me!

Back
Top Bottom