Skinny?

I've attached a picture of Pepe my male veiled chameleon. I've been keeping him outdoors full time for the past few weeks. At first it seemed he was doing really well, however now I'm not so sure. His appetite seems to have disappeared. He barely touches crickets or superworms anymore. I also noticed that he is missing two claws and his colors seem to be more subdued lately. I've been dusting my feeders with Rep-cal Calcium with Vit. D3 and Herptivite once per week since he's been out in Natural Sunlight. I've seen alot of other juvenile chams looking alot larger at this age (6 months) Is he to skinny? How can I spike his interest in eating again?

Attachments

• _IGP7929.jpg
    _IGP7929.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 211
His arms look a bit on the skinny side, I can't really tell how big he is from that picture, maybe get a picture with you holding him? Maybe you should try feeding him dubia roaches or silk worms? How long has it been since he ate?

My male veiled is 10 months old now and has not eatin any crickets in the past 2 weeks, he shows no interest yet he is eating tons of supers and silks. I'm thinking I might have to try dubias, maybe they will interest him more than crickets...

He's only eaten a few worms in the past couple of days. These I believe where Phoenix Worms that he picked out of my cricket tub himself. (they where in the bag with the crickets when I dumped them in) Looking into ordering some now. Anyone with feedback on Phoenix Worms?

I've attached a picture of Pepe my male veiled chameleon. I've been keeping him outdoors full time for the past few weeks. At first it seemed he was doing really well, however now I'm not so sure. His appetite seems to have disappeared. He barely touches crickets or superworms anymore. I also noticed that he is missing two claws and his colors seem to be more subdued lately. I've been dusting my feeders with Rep-cal Calcium with Vit. D3 and Herptivite once per week since he's been out in Natural Sunlight. I've seen alot of other juvenile chams looking alot larger at this age (6 months) Is he to skinny? How can I spike his interest in eating again?

That's to much D3. You need plain calicuim at just about every feeding and D3 twice a month and Herptive only once a month. I live two hours north of you and it's way too hot for my guys outside. I put them out about an hour in the morning and a couple hours in the evenings. He's probably too hot out there all day. Has he had a vet check up lately?

Last edited:
He's only eaten a few worms in the past couple of days. These I believe where Phoenix Worms that he picked out of my cricket tub himself. (they where in the bag with the crickets when I dumped them in) Looking into ordering some now. Anyone with feedback on Phoenix Worms?

Phoenix worms are good for him but he needs a variety of feeders.

Phoenix worms are good feeders, but don't usually just show up in a bag with your crickets. Where did you get the crickets from?

That's to much D3. You need plain calicuim at just about every feeding and D3 twice a month and Herptive only once a month. I live two hours north of you and it's way too hot for my guys outside. I put them out about an hour in the morning and a couple houres in the evenings. He's probably too hot out ther all day. Has he had a vet check up lately?

I'll be bringing him back inside again to see if that helps things. I was under the impression that I could leave him outside, from the responses on a previous Thread of mine as well as an unnamed "Chameleon Authority". Also this article about a Wild Veiled population that seems to be thriving here in Florida. http://www.naherpetology.org/pdf_files/208.pdf

I don't think he is unusually skinny. Keep your eye on him to monitor eating habits. Sometimes as they mature their appetite decreases (males). Also, you can keep them outside as long as they have lots of shade. Down here in FL it can get pretty hot for them. Keep a thermometer on their cage and watch it. Also be sure to mist heavily and more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom