Skin tag on my Veiled

Tbrock91

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Eli is a male 3-4 month old Chameleon. He has been in my care for a week and a half
Handling - 3-4 times a week
Feeding - I am feeding him small mealworms 10 every day but he doesn't always eat all of them. I am also feeding him 5-10 of 3/4 to 1/2 inch crickets. Along with every feeding I offer him squash, lettuce, greens, and apples I also gut load the crickets and mealworms with the same stuff.
Supplements - Zilla Vitamin Supplement spray I am only going to use this twice every other month due to the D3 that is in it. I also am going to use Zoo Med Repti Calcium dusting and the months that I don't use the Zilla spray I will use the Zoo Med dusting.
Watering - I use tap water that has sat in an open bottle for 24 hours. I mist twice a day and I don't mist for specific amount of time just till I have the cage all misted I also have a zoo med fogger and run that for probably 30 minutes twice a day.
Fecal Description - He has only pooped once and that was a week after I got him. This picture bellow looks exactly like what Eli's poop looked like. Credit to 'ferretinmyshoes' for the image "Normal Poop" Eli has not been tested for parasites.
History - Nothing to report here.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Repti Breeze 16 x 16 x 30 it is all screen.
Lighting - I can't remember what type of basking bulb I got but My UVB (100) Tropical is a Exo-terra. I turn on both lights around 7:00 AM and turn them off around 8:30-9:00 PM
Temperature - How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is around 75-80 F. Floor 68-75. At night it gets ay where from 65 F -68 F.
Humidity - Humidity is around 50%-70%. Like I said previously I have a repti fogger. I measure humidity with exp-terra hygrometer.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have 2 fake plants and one live plant. My live plant is a Dracaena Marginata.
Placement - Eli's cage is in the front of my living room. Our apartment does not get much traffic because the only people living here is me and my wife along with my 5 month old son who can't even crawl. No fans around and the cage sits on a 3 foot table and the height from the top of the cage to the ceiling is 3-3 1/2 feet.
Location - I live in North Carolina

Current Problem - Sunday (Yesterday) I noticed a sorta of a skin tag on Eli's left side in the inside of his left leg. He has recently shedded (Saturday) So I thought that the skin tag was a little piece of unshedded skin. When I still saw it today I tried to help him take it off, I did not pull on it hard, but hard enough to realize that it maybe attached. Here is a image of the skin tag. Skin Tag

It looks like stuck shed to me. I would just keep an eye on it. sometimes it can take a day or two for the skin to loosen adequately. You could increase your misting schedule or put him in the shower. If you do put him in the shower make sure not to let the water spray right on him but direct it to the wall and let it bounce off of there and onto the plant you have the chameleon sitting on.

I don't know- I'm just guessing by photo. You can try putting a little vegetable oil on it or a product from the pet shop called shed ease or shed aid or similar product. After a few minutes soak, try removing gently with tweasers.

You can try putting a little vegetable oil on it or a product from the pet shop called shed ease or shed aid or similar product. After a few minutes soak, try removing gently with tweasers.

I'd try this too. As they got older they sometimes take longer to shed so small pieces can get left behind for a while.

I don't know- I'm just guessing by photo. You can try putting a little vegetable oil on it or a product from the pet shop called shed ease or shed aid or similar product. After a few minutes soak, try removing gently with tweasers.

I'll try this thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

Good news

I got the skin off with the vegetable oil. But Eli did not like it, he hated me for about 15 minutes but after I think he got over it :)

Thanks for the tips guys. Some times I feel like a worried mother about him. But working at a vet office where we see cats and dogs with lumps, bumps and skin tags are things that shouldn't be taken lightly (some of the time). Again thanks for the help.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I don't think that retained shed is that worrisome unless it is somewhere like the toes or tail where there could be problems that could lead to that part not getting blood flow with the retained skin acting like a tourniquet. I could be wrong about that so maybe someone else can chime in here.

Yeah- if it were on my lizard- it's so tiny I probably wouldn't have noticed it. It didn't look like a serious issue- but noticing it reflects really well on the owner. Observing small things is a big key to long term success with these guys...

Back
Top Bottom