Skin peeling on nose?

fritzer108

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon Male Veiled cham, about 11 months.
  • Handling - Maybe 2 and 3 times a weeks
  • Feeding - Superworms and crickets, dusting of Calcium once a week,
  • Supplements - Flukers Calcium with D3, Phosphorous free
  • Watering - Misting every 3-4 hours for a minute
  • Fecal Description - Normal, brown and white
  • History - None

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen, 18x18x36
  • Lighting - Reptisun UVB 10.0 and ceramic heating bulb for 12 hours per day
  • Temperature - 70 to 91. It hit's about 60 at night
  • Humidity - 40% to 60%
  • Plants - Mix of live and fake. Live plants: 2 Pothos Vines
  • Placement - Quiet corner, about 3 feet of the ground
  • Location - CO
I noticed my chameleon having some skin issues on his nose and I can't quite figure out what it is. My guess was a thermal burn, but I'm not sure and really don't like how it looks. The skin has begun to peel, but nothing has come off yet. He appears to be healthy otherwise and is eating and drinking normally.
IMG_3268.JPG

Holy crap he's dark. He does not look great to me. I'm not sure what's going on with the nose, but his casque looks like it has damage to it as well.

Here are husbandry notes:
1.) Superworms should only be fed sparingly as treats.

2.) You will kill him if that's the only supplement you are using. He needs calcium without D3 at every feeding, calcium without D3 twice a month, and a multivitamin twice a month.

3.) That cage is absolutely tiny for him. Male veileds need 2x2x4 at his age

4.) It would be better to use a lightbulb that a ceramic heat emitter

Other questions:
Is the UVB light a compact spiral bulb or is it a long linear one?

What do you gutload the insects with?

It’s either a thermal burn or just rubbed raw from him probing the screen constantly to find a way to escape the bad environment he’s in.

I fully support everything recommended above.^

The majority of his diet is crickets and the occasional superworm. I usually gut load both with greens and carrots and my UVB is linear bulb, similar to a fluorescent bulb. He's always been dark like this since I've gotten him (about 6 weeks ago). I only saw him lighten up for the first time today in his basking spot. I live in a somewhat chilly spot of CO, so I was thinking about getting 2 heat lamps to compensate (if it is a temperature problem)? I've also noticed he always turns that dark when I enter his cage (like when I took the photo), making me think that stress maybe a factor.

Correct, he is very stressed due to several inadequacies in your husbandry. They are:
-confined space
-virtualy no calcium supplement
-D3 overdose
-possible thermal burns
-virtually no gutload
-being roasted alive constantly with excessive UV rays.

You’ve got a lot to fix but it’s doable. Can you post the pics of your viv?

Back
Top Bottom