Skin issue

Robclau

Hello guys. I hope you can help me with some information because I’m new in this field. I have a chameleon and it is about 3 months right now. It is with me for like 2 months and it starts to appear some gray spots on the back. I give him calcium’s with and without vitamin D3. It always have some worms in the cage. Recently it changed the skin. It is the same I mean it’s eating, poops looks normal I looked in the mouth and I did not see any problems. I really hope you can help me with some information because in my country we don’t have a vet who works with chameleons. :(

Attachments

• 61EEC000-0A3C-4032-AED1-200338EC6F05.jpeg
    61EEC000-0A3C-4032-AED1-200338EC6F05.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 573907D0-6960-47B5-A6DD-CB440054500E.jpeg
    573907D0-6960-47B5-A6DD-CB440054500E.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 36
Hi! I’m not an expert and will not be much help as I am new too. Your little one is adorable!! I can tell you that you might have better luck posting this in the health clinic forum. Also, they will likely ask you to fill out this information:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hi there. Looks like it could be a thermal burn... If you copy paste the form above into your reply and be detailed in your responses. Also post pics of the entire cage including the lights on top.

What Type UV bulb are you using?

It could be a UV burn / "Sunburn"🌅 ... if the UVB bulb is too close or the wrong UVB strength %.

Can you let me know what UVB bulb you have an how close it is to the top perches?

So maybe we could at least rule that out.😁👍🏼

Hopefully this can be figured out and fixed because you have a cute little bugger. 😁

Can you share a picture of your lights and the location on set-up? Thanks!(y)
Very important to diagnose properly, since there is no vet to help.

Hi there. Looks like it could be a thermal burn... If you copy paste the form above into your reply and be detailed in your responses. Also post pics of the entire cage including the lights on top.

Chameleon Info: I don't know the sex of the chameleon. Approximately 3-4 months old. I have been caring for it for 2 months. I try to handle it at least 3 times a week for half an hour each time. I feed it mealworms, crickets, and cockroaches, 3 insects per day. The feeders are gut-loaded with mostly vegetable scraps. I usually feed it in the evening, but it doesn't eat immediately. I use calcium supplements with and without vitamin D3, dusting a maximum of 12 insects per week. I water it using a spray bottle twice a day, in the morning and evening. I have not observed it drinking water yet. Fecal Description: Black with yellow. It has not had parasites.

Cage Info: The cage type is a PT600 terrarium, I have not found a larger one, but I plan to extend it in height. I also add 2 pictures of the light that I use. One is for vision one for UVA. See link below for the type of cage. Temperature range is 22-26 degrees Celsius during the day, and between 20-24 degrees Celsius at night. I measure the temperature with a digital thermometer. Humidity levels are between 50-70%. I am using two live umbrella tree plants and one dwarf palm tree. See link below for the type of plants. Location: I live in Romania (Europe).

I hope this helps as there are not many exotic animal veterinarians here.

https://www.hornbach.ro/p/palmierul...a-elegans-h-45-55-cm-ghiveci-o-12-cm/2323946/

https://www.hornbach.ro/p/arborele-...ola-gerda-h-45-55-cm-ghiveci-o-13-cm/3810921/

https://www.tommiland.eu/resun-pet-terrarium-600

Attachments

• 5AE6C897-F4B7-4624-9481-0D79204E7186.jpeg
    5AE6C897-F4B7-4624-9481-0D79204E7186.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 32
  • C56B25D5-9F3D-4293-AC95-F50B28B21CBD.jpeg
    C56B25D5-9F3D-4293-AC95-F50B28B21CBD.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 34
  • FA8731B5-9D89-43BB-A4D8-D2E7EF7EFEF0.jpeg
    FA8731B5-9D89-43BB-A4D8-D2E7EF7EFEF0.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 30
Can you share a picture of your lights and the location on set-up? Thanks!(y)
Very important to diagnose properly, since there is no vet to help.
This is my setup… I hope it is ok..

Attachments

• 747155E1-FF19-4422-9C12-3B304DA18725.jpeg
    747155E1-FF19-4422-9C12-3B304DA18725.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 33
What Type UV bulb are you using?

It could be a UV burn / "Sunburn"🌅 ... if the UVB bulb is too close or the wrong UVB strength %.

Can you let me know what UVB bulb you have an how close it is to the top perches?

So maybe we could at least rule that out.😁👍🏼

Hopefully this can be figured out and fixed because you have a cute little bugger. 😁
I use this kind of bulb.

Attachments

• 0840D667-2154-4986-9074-2F00D64E217E.jpeg
    0840D667-2154-4986-9074-2F00D64E217E.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 440367E0-0E6E-41E1-8A4E-DA5BC2014484.jpeg
    440367E0-0E6E-41E1-8A4E-DA5BC2014484.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 39
Hi. :) I can see some changes that you should make.
Chameleon Info: I don't know the sex of the chameleon. If you provide a picture of the back of a back foot, we can help you with that. Males have what’s called a tarsal spur, which is a protruding nub. Approximately 3-4 months old. Looks much younger than that…more like 1-2 months old to me. I have been caring for it for 2 months. I try to handle it at least 3 times a week for half an hour each time. Chameleons don’t like being handled at all and it’s very stressful for them. I suggest reducing greatly your handling. I feed it mealworms, crickets, and cockroaches, 3 insects per day. This is not nearly enough food and may be why it looks so young. When you got it, you should have been letting it eat as much as it wanted, twice a day. That is a bit too much for now, but baby needs to catch up on nutrition. I’m going to say to feed it as much as it can eat in about 15-20 minutes once a day in the morning. After about a month, you can start cutting back to maybe about 16-20 feeders once daily. Depending on whether you have a male or female will determine how much to feed as it grows into maturity. The feeders are gut-loaded with mostly vegetable scraps. Very good. The healthier your insect feeders are, the more nutritious they will be for your chameleon. I usually feed it in the evening, Morning is better as that provides it time to bask and digest it’s food properly. but it doesn't eat immediately. I use calcium supplements with and without vitamin D3, How often for each? What about a multivitamin? The standard is to use a phosphorus-free calcium without D3 at every feeding except one every week. Then one feeding every other week you’ll use a calcium with D3. You’ll do the same with a multivitamin. For example, on the 1st and 15th of the month, you’ll use the calcium with D3. On the 7th and 30th of the month, you’ll use the multivitamin. dusting a maximum of 12 insects per week. I water it using a spray bottle twice a day, in the morning and evening. Very good. It’s best to spray for at least two minutes to help trigger drinking response and provide time for it to clean it’s eyes. I have not observed it drinking water yet. Many chameleons are very secretive about drinking. You’ll go by what color the urate part of the poo is. White is fully hydrated. It’s okay for part of one end to be a bit yellow. You don’t want a dark or orange urate as that means dehydration. Fecal Description: Black with yellow. It has not had parasites.

Cage Info: The cage type is a PT600 terrarium, I have not found a larger one, but I plan to extend it in height. I have no idea what size that is. The minimum size for an adult veiled (or Yemen) is 60x60x120 cm. You may need to build your own. I also add 2 pictures of the light that I use. One is for vision one for UVA. I am also not familiar with what types of uvb is available to you, but it looks like you have a mercury vapor type (I think) and these are not recommended because they are not consistent with their output. The other type of screw in uvb bulb is not able to provide the uvb levels that your chameleon needs at any farther away than about 5-7cm. The standard that is used is a linear T5HO fixture with either Arcadia 6% or ReptiSun 5.0 bulb. Pic below of the correct type. Then you can have the distance between the light and basking area to be about 22-23cm. See link below for the type of cage. Temperature range is 22-26 degrees Celsius during the day, This is not warm enough for basking. The basking area temperature should be 26-27c. and between 20-24 degrees Celsius at night. It’s very good to have the temperature drop at night. I measure the temperature with a digital thermometer. Humidity levels are between 50-70%. This is too high for daytime and increases the risks of respiratory infection. Keep humidity between 30-50% during the day. It may be difficult to get and keep your humidity down, so you may have to put a small fan on the top to draw air out. I am using two live umbrella tree plants and one dwarf palm tree. Very nice. Never use fake plants as veileds do like to nibble the leaves and it’s dangerous if they eat a fake one. See link below for the type of plants. Location: I live in Romania (Europe).
I do have some questions about your enclosure. Does the top have screen or is it glass? What are the panels on the sides? Are they screens over glass or nothing is behind them? You have soil on the floor. Is it just soil or do you have isopods and springtails (bioactive)? If it’s just soil, it would be best to remove it and keep the floor bare. If you have bioactive, you need a thick leaf litter and way to manage excess drainage. Your baby definitely needs many more branches and vines…lots of little roads to travel on. It would probably be better to secure a feeding cup up higher. Chameleons don’t often travel to the ground and don’t feel safe to do so.

I hope this helps as there are not many exotic animal veterinarians here. Because of this it’s extra important to have perfect husbandry to reduce the chances of needing veterinary care. The very best place to learn is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ Fully explore the site.
I’m not sure what the area is on baby’s back, but it does look like a burn. The best thing to use for burns is silver sulfadiazine cream, if you can get it. In most areas of the world you need a prescription.
3B3EE834-C1FE-4FE4-A8E0-EF7D9520F10B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom