Size of food too big?

Saracw324

Hey guys! I'm trying to figure out if the hornworms are too big to give to my cham? The hornworms are about 2 in at least maybe 2 1/2 and I will post a pic of my cam

Attachments

• 15947673422673750902498440464691.jpg
    15947673422673750902498440464691.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 15947673691763513724850916627926.jpg
    15947673691763513724850916627926.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 155
hornworms and silkies generally dont have a size limit. They are just "bags of water". So if it fits in the pie hole, it will be fine with a bit of chewing. For feeders with shells, its no bigger than the space between the eyes when they look at you.

hornworms and silkies generally dont have a size limit. They are just "bags of water". So if it fits in the pie hole, it will be fine with a bit of chewing. For feeders with shells, its no bigger than the space between the eyes when they look at you.
That's very helpful! Thank you for the advice, I kind of worry about that horn at the end of them too.

Rule of thumb for feeder size...anything larger than the space between their eyes is too big. For worms you need to consider the diameter of the worm, not the length.
That makes sense! The worms are not that wide! I think they are maybe a half of an inch. Just a little worried it might bite her or stab her with the horn

I do not feed off large hornworms. They have large mandibles and can deliver one heck of a bite. But also they can be too large to where they struggle to get them down.
I stopped feeding them off after that get too big. I fed a large one to Ezekiel and when I checked in on him later on in the day. It was at the bottom of the enclosure and half of it was smashed/chewed up. He must of tried to eat it and couldn't get it down and spit it back out.

I stopped feeding them off after that get too big. I fed a large one to Ezekiel and when I checked in on him later on in the day. It was at the bottom of the enclosure and half of it was smashed/chewed up. He must of tried to eat it and couldn't get it down and spit it back out.
Exactly... Just because they can get it down does not mean they should be trying. IMO

Yea if mine hit the middle of the worm, i end with a half a worm at the bottom of the cage. it doesnt matter how large or small the worm is. Guess some lizards just dont know how to maneuver to the head/tail.

Rule of thumb for feeder size...anything larger than the space between their eyes is too big. For worms you need to consider the diameter of the worm, not the length.
Even the horned worms? Lol those get gigantic but the diameter would still be appropriate yet I feel they’re way too big to feed my Cham. I read they can bite and can injure your Cham.

Back
Top Bottom