Sire and son variation

KTown333

I was curious how similar Chameleon babies are to their Sire in forms of patterns and color? Mainly males. Are they all very close to sires looks? Or are they usually some closer looking to sire and some not so impressive? Thank you

Well, I know that my chameleon does not look too much like his dad! I mean its just like kids not looking like their parents. And then there are some that surely do resemble their sires. That is why we buy them, when the sires looks so good!!! I think it is more luck of the draw so to speak. The brother of my chameleon looks totally different than mine right now.

Humm interesting. Thank you for the input. Anyone else? What are your experiences with what you sire looked like and how your baby turned out?

A few years ago, I bred Ambilobe panthers, and from the same clutch produced both blue bar and red bar males. In fact, from the same clutch came a male with very little red, when he fired up he was yellow with blue stripes, and a male with no blue on his body at all. When the second fired up he was yellow-orange with bright red stripes. Both were beautiful, and they were completely different.

Nothing like photos to show you! :) Below is my Nosy Be, Cobalt, who I expected to be a really intense blue. I was soooo wrong! Photo of breeder belongs to Chameleon Company.

greaseball.jpg

Mine when he feels like being "blue."
cobalt1yearold1.jpg

And when he feels like being yellow.
cobalt1yearold22.jpg

So you can see that this is a case where he looks NOTHING like his father. But then I have my two Ambilobes that look really similar to their fathers. One has a lot more blue in the face than his dad and the other fires up with a lot more yellow, but the resemblance is there.

All you can hope for is that the offspring you pick have the same "look" as their fathers, but with genetics, it's not always easy!

i think it comes to to the "lines" and not the sires

i think you get a more better chance of getting the cham with the right colors if the breeder has done mulitple genrerations of a particular color or locale of the panther.

for example the blue nosy be, Olimpias came from a WC not from CBB that has been through multiple generations of breeding just the blueest nosy bes

but hers is rather unique and i would love love to mix a "blue one" with one of her yellow offspring:p

i think it comes to to the "lines" and not the sires

i think you get a more better chance of getting the cham with the right colors if the breeder has done mulitple genrerations of a particular color or locale of the panther.

for example the blue nosy be, Olimpias came from a WC not from CBB that has been through multiple generations of breeding just the blueest nosy bes

but hers is rather unique and i would love love to mix a "blue one" with one of her yellow offspring:p

Excellent point Ace, I should have mentioned that. This is right, if you can find a chameleon who has a longer line of a certain look, it increases your chances of getting an offspring you want.

Excellent point Ace, I should have mentioned that. This is right, if you can find a chameleon who has a longer line of a certain look, it increases your chances of getting an offspring you want.

thank you:p

and for more important matters....BREED that yellow stud, show his some love;)....i think your goal is to make the the "yellow phase" nosey be:D:)

The sire of my Ambilobe male is Lucifer, an Ambilobe with some Ambanja crossing. Lucifer is a stud to the extreme. My Ambilobe is his son and he is turning out to be a stunner as well. He is at 8 months and showing extreme coloration. The first link is a picture of Lucifer from Lancecham (Disclaimer- This link is a post from Lance and is his picture of Lucifer. I do not claim it as my own at all.) The second will be my online thread of my Ambilobe Maul's photo progression from 3 months to current age.

Lucifer

Maul

After comparing, Maul is indeed is father's son. Lucifer has more yellows and barring in the throat area, but Maul is still a juvenile so in another 4-6 months, we will wait and see how much of that will be passed on.

Just goes to show how much the dam's genes matter. :) Plus there is a ton of variation. Some of his brothers are not so vibrant...

Back
Top Bottom