Single or multiple basking lamps for 4 foot wide enclosure? Advice needed

I’m currently getting a 4’x2’x4’ enclosure all set up and am looking for advice about a basking spot in an enclosure this size.

For people with this size of enclosure, do you have one heat lamp or two? Ever hear of anyone using 2 heat lamps? How do you have your lights set up on the top of the enclosure? I know it’s important to create a temperature gradient but I am concerned that it might not be warm enough on the left side of the enclosure if I put only one basking light on the right side corner, it’s pretty cold in my room in the winter ~68F. My thought was maybe putting one basking bulb on each side of the enclosure so the ‘low’ temperature gradient would be in the center of the enclosure..? Thoughts?

I use a 65 watt incandescent bulb for basking spot.

Thanks!

Start with one, observe your chameleon and temps, then add another if you think it'd be beneficial. Or up the wattage on your bulb if needed.

68 sounds fine as a base room temp. The basking bulb and UVB light will put off heat. Are you doing plant lights as well? They don't put off much heat as LEDs but chameleons like to hang under them so you can use that in your light configuration planning. Angle the basking bulb so if the chameleon hangs under a plant light it gets heat.

Start with one, observe your chameleon and temps, then add another if you think it'd be beneficial. Or up the wattage on your bulb if needed.

68 sounds fine as a base room temp. The basking bulb and UVB light will put off heat. Are you doing plant lights as well? They don't put off much heat as LEDs but chameleons like to hang under them so you can use that in your light configuration planning. Angle the basking bulb so if the chameleon hangs under a plant light it gets heat.
I do have some plant lights I will be using. Thanks for the tips!

I’m currently getting a 4’x2’x4’ enclosure all set up and am looking for advice about a basking spot in an enclosure this size.

For people with this size of enclosure, do you have one heat lamp or two? Ever hear of anyone using 2 heat lamps? How do you have your lights set up on the top of the enclosure? I know it’s important to create a temperature gradient but I am concerned that it might not be warm enough on the left side of the enclosure if I put only one basking light on the right side corner, it’s pretty cold in my room in the winter ~68F. My thought was maybe putting one basking bulb on each side of the enclosure so the ‘low’ temperature gradient would be in the center of the enclosure..? Thoughts?

I use a 65 watt incandescent bulb for basking spot.

Thanks!
I just added another basking light to my enclosure which is the same size as yours. I use 75 watt basking with dimmer switches on each. One is set up over his basking spot and the other i put in a corner that has no branches under it. I also have a 24" reptidun t5 HO with a 10.0 bulb. All 3 lights sit directly on the screen. I aldo have a Sansi light for the plants which is hung from the wall about 3-4 inches above and is positioned toward the back so the lightcan reach plants in two cages. I have a smaller cage for hawk moths. I have high ceilings and the heat in the room rises so the top 2 feet stay warm when the heater is on. i have the enclosure on top of a desk so it does get some of the warmth up at the ceiling. However i got the second light for the times that i do not have the heat going as part of thecage stays way too cold and thus did fix that issue. I have many perching branches at different levels 4-5", 5-6", 6-8". I also have big leaf foliage in the upper portion for shade and hiding for my cham. It took me a long time to get it to where he is happy with his home and of course it is a wirk in progress. if your room gets that cold you will have to run your heat. Remember no lights for sleeptime and temp should not get below 50. I have sealed theback screen and one side with plastic which helps regulate humidity and keep heat in. Shower curtain liner cut to size and taped on outside did the trick. I hope some of my suggestions help. Note i only put both basking lifhts on when its really cold and i am not running the heater in the room. Winters are a challenge especially if you are in snow country!

Back
Top Bottom