Silkworms

Dave85731

Avid Member
I just got 500 silkworm eggs and I've never hatched them before so my question is am I able to put some in the fridge?.... I've been reading different things some pages say only if they were shipped with ice packs and some say you can but they don't mention the ice packs during shipping and in my case they weren't shipped with ice packs does any one know about this thanks

As a Chameleon breeder having been breeding on and off since the 1980's, I have learned how important it is to ask the correct questions before I even have the buggs/eggs shipped to me! One thing is certain, you won't make the same mistake again! Lol! So, this is a beter question to ask the person you got the eggs from! If they have been layed freshly and have not been refrigerated yet, then yes, you can refrigerate them! If they have been refrigerated for at least 2 months and then shipped to you, then they will die if you refrigerate them again after being warm during shipping! Hope this helps!

I've asked the person and haven't got a response yet so that's why I'm asking on here lol... 12$ for 500 eggs I couldnt pass on that deal then I'm looking at 500 eggs wondering what I'm going to do with that many worms lol but yea I didn't even think to ask the seller your right won't make that mistake again lol thanks tho

Unfortunately that person is the only owner to the question you need answered! Was any paperwork included in the package? Was the word "diapaused" used in any communication you received?

Please get food ready before you buy it. They eat fresh Mulberry leaves or you could buy food on eBay,. Thanks

That's all that's under the discription they came from New York so who knows what weather they went through once they got here it's over 100 in the day if I have to hatch them all then I will I guess lol maybe I'll just put some in the fridge and see what happens either way I got my money's worth and I'll know next time to get the facts

I'd leave em out for like 2 weeks (after taking em out of the cooling they will hatch within that time), have they started hatching in that time you know they already have been refrigerated.
If they didn't hatch yet odds are you can still refrigerate them and they will likely still be o.k.

Nothing hatched yet the guy still hasn't got back to me on if he ever put them in the fridge but I put a small amount in the fridge any ways I didn't know if it would be to late the longer I waited so I'll see what happens when I decide to hatch more either it worked or it didn't lol thanks for the responds tho

It's the eggs I was talking about not the worms so in the end I refrigerated some and am hatching most of them so I'll see what happens with the other eggs in a month or so thanks tho

@Remkon how long can these things take to hatch they still haven't yet I popped a egg it's goowey in there but I don't know much about these things they stay in high 70s but never over 85 at room temp

Took mine usually around 2 weeks so possibly they havent had their cold period yet. Maybe it's time you split em 50/50 and refrigurate half and give the other half a week longer.

Hey @Remkon i had already refrigerated a bunch back when I posted this thread do you think I could pull out what I refrigerated and put the ones I have been trying to hatch in the fridge and see if that works

Oh yea and the guy did finally reply like a week later saying he had them in the fridge for a week and that I shouldn't put them back in but that was to late I already put half in lol

Back
Top Bottom