Silkworm Timelapse

Dave Weldon

Avid Member
Howdy All,

It's been done plenty of times before by others but I thought I'd try-out my new $20 (cheap!) intervelometer (search eBay: Timer Remote Control Fr Canon XS XSi T1i XT XTi RS-60E3) with my Canon T2i and the 18-55mm kit lens. I set the intervelometer to trigger the Canon to take a photo every minute for 60 minutes. I used a free software package called VitrualDub (and a bunch of free add-ons) to turn the 60 photos into a 6 second video. I would have shot several hours worth but it was going to be getting dark soon in the chameleon room :eek:.

Note the big silkie at the bottom left. He poops twice and then the little one goes over to sniff it :rolleyes:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Zjh6PUYjc

Very cool Dave! I want to get one of them things for my camera!

Hey Chad!! So you breed silkworms too!

I am getting a new strain coming in :)

Oh, thanks for the direction you pointed.. but that's not where I am getting them.

no more MF nor CS!!

Very nice Dave. It was very fun to watch. Will you be doing another one? I would love to see one go on for a few days. :D

-Clemonde

hey, did you know the frass is also merchandised??

they make them into pillow sands! absorbs moisture, stays cool and conforms to your head!

seriously, this has been mass produced for many markets.

The poop is also used to feed fish.

Very neat Dave... At $20 it's a must have toy, although my camera already has a remote, though without the interval timer....hm... maybe I could photograph my wife when she's mowing the lawn or washing windows or something ... as if :)

Very nice Dave. It was very fun to watch. Will you be doing another one? I would love to see one go on for a few days. :D

-Clemonde
Howdy Clemonde,

I'm tempted to try shooting a cup of hornworms next and see what I get.

Hmmm.. Maybe I should set that up tonight and let it run starting tomorrow morning until I get home from work :rolleyes:. Off I go...

I bought 200 eggs that hatched , feed them for about 5 days providing fresh leaf everyday, but skipped one day due to finals, and all worms died : /

Were they eating the leaves? five day old silks might not eat leaves if they are too tough. In the wild (if they were to live in the wild...) the egs would hatch as the tree is starting to develop leaves. this would mean soft leaves, that small silkworms can chew. if you give little silks fully grown leaves they might not be able to eat it...

Were they eating the leaves? five day old silks might not eat leaves if they are too tough. In the wild (if they were to live in the wild...) the egs would hatch as the tree is starting to develop leaves. this would mean soft leaves, that small silkworms can chew. if you give little silks fully grown leaves they might not be able to eat it...

Yes, they were eatting big leaves, not fully but more like scaping the suface for a couple of days, they even doubled in size, I just forgot to place a fresh leaf one day and game over... I will try again later. Sorry for stealing your post.

Yes, they were eatting big leaves, not fully but more like scaping the suface for a couple of days, they even doubled in size, I just forgot to place a fresh leaf one day and game over... I will try again later. Sorry for stealing your post.

hmmm.. they are at that stage without food for a few days.. one day without food shouldn't hurt them.. sorry this happened. Kind of weird.. Did you close the lid on them??

At that stage, esp when you use leaves, there is no need to cover them tight.

hmmm.. they are at that stage without food for a few days.. one day without food shouldn't hurt them.. sorry this happened. Kind of weird.. Did you close the lid on them??

At that stage, esp when you use leaves, there is no need to cover them tight.

Lid? No... I let most of the eggs hatch ~24hrs after some started hatching, then provided them space inside a 2.5gal plastic jug with 1 fresh leaf everyday. They lived for about 1 week then I didnt feed them and when I remembered it was alreeady too late. bout 95% were not moving anymore.

Howdy Clemonde,

I'm tempted to try shooting a cup of hornworms next and see what I get.

Hmmm.. Maybe I should set that up tonight and let it run starting tomorrow morning until I get home from work :rolleyes:. Off I go...

Evening Dave,

That would be very fun to watch. I think they are going to go through so much more food than the silks. Try a longer one this time. :p

-Clemonde

Back
Top Bottom