SILKWORM RAISING HELP

NYCMOS11B

I have raised silkworms from eggs off and on for over a year but the last two attempts were failures. I get to the point where the eggs hatch then live for up to a week then die. I’m not sure what is wrong. I’m feeding grated silkworms chow after they hatch, never had any problem feeding this to the older silkworms, so don’t think it’s the food. Any help appreciated. Anyone with experience with raising silkworms? Any help appreciated, I’m frustrated. I had no problem earlier in the year, had so many silkworms I was given them away.

I have raised silkworms from eggs off and on for over a year but the last two attempts were failures. I get to the point where the eggs hatch then live for up to a week then die. I’m not sure what is wrong. I’m feeding grated silkworms chow after they hatch, never had any problem feeding this to the older silkworms, so don’t think it’s the food. Any help appreciated. Anyone with experience with raising silkworms? Any help appreciated, I’m frustrated. I had no problem earlier in the year, had so many silkworms I was given them away.
Hi. Is your chow fresh, as in made within a week of feeding it?
What are your temps and humidity like?
Do you move the babies and if so, how?
Once my eggs have started to hatch, I use an oral syringe to extrude small lines of fresh chow around them. (Stole the idea from another member @AmandaS?) I keep adding little bits more as it dries out super quickly. Then when all the eggs have hatched and they’re about 2 days old, rather than constantly moving them (mine aren’t smart enough to move to fresh chow) I gently move the chow lines full of the babies to a short deli container about 1” full of chow and let them grow. Since I can’t turn it upside down to get rid of the frass, every couple of days I move the little web they’ve made that contains the frass, revealingthe chow beneath. My temps are always around 74-76* and humidity stays between 35-45%.

Once my eggs have started to hatch, I use an oral syringe to extrude small lines of fresh chow around them. (Stole the idea from another member @AmandaS?) I keep adding little bits more as it dries out super quickly. Then when all the eggs have hatched and they’re about 2 days old, rather than constantly moving them (mine aren’t smart enough to move to fresh chow) I gently move the chow lines full of the babies to a short deli container about 1” full of chow and let them grow. Since I can’t turn it upside down to get rid of the frass, every couple of days I move the little web they’ve made that contains the frass, revealingthe chow beneath. My temps are always around 74-76* and humidity stays between 35-45%.
Wish it was me, I think it was @snitz427

Chow ia fresh. I started using syringe trick, much easier than grating the food and moving it around with a skewer. My temp is around 73-76* but humidity is higher at around 55%. I live in a high humidity area so generally is higher. Some of the silkworms are still alive and I’m hoping those make it.

I had noticed a higher die off when I moved them even though I was gentle as possible and used a magnifying glass to prevent hurting them. Now I just move the little chow line they’re all on to the small deli cup with 1” of chow in it and let them eat and grow.

I have just started to keep silkworms. How do I care for them? I was told to put down paper towel and then change that everyday. I had bought some hornworms that are in a container that I turn upside down so I can remove their poop like that. Is there a way to do this with silkworms also?

I have just started to keep silkworms. How do I care for them? I was told to put down paper towel and then change that everyday. I had bought some hornworms that are in a container that I turn upside down so I can remove their poop like that. Is there a way to do this with silkworms also?
Yes, I keep mine in plastic shoe totes (with ventilated lids) on paper towel. Depending on how many you have and how big they are, you will want to keep them clean. I currently have just over 100 medium sized ones. They’re at the size that tomorrow I will be splitting them up into two or more totes and putting some gutter guard to put their food on and let the frass fall down.
You can do the same with silkworms as is done with hornworms, but I prefer the shoe totes. It’s a bit more work having to move them to clean paper towel, but it works best for me.

The ones I have are getting big fast is there a way to slow them down? Also how much should I be feeding them? When I go to clean them out there is still some of the food on the plastic things that is still moist. Do I through that away and put new?

The more they eat, the faster they’ll grow. They can go a couple of days without food. If the chow is still moist and not covered in poop, it can be left. If they grow too big before you can feed them off, you can always let them cocoon, turn into pretty moths and make some eggs. That’s what I do and then put the eggs in a warm fridge for at least 3 months before hatching.

The more they eat, the faster they’ll grow. They can go a couple of days without food. If the chow is still moist and not covered in poop, it can be left. If they grow too big before you can feed them off, you can always let them cocoon, turn into pretty moths and make some eggs. That’s what I do and then put the eggs in a warm fridge for at least 3 months before hatching.
Warm fridge? Just one not plugged in?

Warm fridge? Just one not plugged in?
Like a wine fridge. I had been keeping my eggs in my normal fridge, but it got too cold and killed them all. I bought a 2nd hand wine fridge, but that didn’t get cool enough. Finally I found the tiny 6 pack fridge I had stayed at a perfect temp for my eggs…around 55f.

Back
Top Bottom