Silkworm Mold

davider

Avid Member
I have a couple containers that have mold, I want to see if it okay to clean them up and feed them?
Thanks

David

I would feed the silkworms for awhile to make sure they are healthy again. You wouldn't want to feed your chameleon a silkworm that is about to die. How do you have your silkworms setup?

They are in glad ware containers with holes (a couple containers) this is the first time this happened because my buddy misplaced the containers and they weren't in a well circulated area. Thanks for the response.

David

If you have a couple of containers I would feed off the from the healthy ones, clean out the mold container and feed them more and for the survivors have them turn into moths and lay eggs.

My silkworms do that when there are to many in one container. My hornworms I hate because they bite and are aggressive but the silkworms are so dang hard to take care of. It helps if you scrape off a layer of the food daily and make sure there is no moisture in the container. I keep mine in the closet so the temp never changes. If there are to many in the container then it is impossible to keep the fungus from growing. Clean it out give it 48 hours and they will do fine eating them. I hate silkworms and have gone to hornworms and supers only for a while.

just make sure you clean up the mold real good..
If i were you, however, i would just discard the chow.
Silkies literally has no immune system whatsoever.
It can easily die from digesting moldy chow or bacteria infested chow.

Back
Top Bottom