Silkworm growth

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
The locale of silkworms i have are extremely slow growing. However genetically strong. Im frustrated with the time they take to grow. Im trying to time out when to pull another 300 eggs to hatch but omg i cant seem to guess their growth rate.

Otherwise the other inverts are growing like mad. Im slowly creating a collecting method. But otherwise i am looking at adding some for sale in the next few months. Very excited.

I'm just starting to learn how to breed my own silkworms. Hatched my first 200 eggs and have others at various sizes. I have 6 cocoon's as of this morning and I am sure more tomorrow. It's pretty interesting actually! I had some that were really slow and so I put them in my incubator box with the eggs and they beefed up pretty quickly. That said, I am no expert! Still waiting for my first moth!

I wish my silks had grown much slower. I can’t remember if I ordered 500 or 250 eggs, but about half never hatched. Must have been 500, as I ended up with a few hundred silks. The bulk of them grew faster than I could feed them and my beardie chose this time to go into brumation. Currently have at least 60+ cocoons and about another 30 that are in process of cocooning. Really odd thing though…there are about 20 that are still really tiny…like about 1” or smaller. I keep them fed…they just aren’t growing.

I wish my silks had grown much slower. I can’t remember if I ordered 500 or 250 eggs, but about half never hatched. Must have been 500, as I ended up with a few hundred silks. The bulk of them grew faster than I could feed them and my beardie chose this time to go into brumation. Currently have at least 60+ cocoons and about another 30 that are in process of cocooning. Really odd thing though…there are about 20 that are still really tiny…like about 1” or smaller. I keep them fed…they just aren’t growing.
I think the obvious solution to this problem is another reptile that can take care of this problem because I mean you can never have too many lizards

I think the obvious solution to this problem is another reptile that can take care of this problem because I mean you can never have too many lizards
I have 4 chams, 3 leopard geckos and the beardie! Plus 2 cats and a dog. Hmm…:unsure: my dog does eat everything indiscriminately, food and non food items. Wonder how he’d feel about live silkworm treats?😁

I have 4 chams, 3 leopard geckos and the beardie! Plus 2 cats and a dog. Hmm…:unsure: my dog does eat everything indiscriminately, food and non food items. Wonder how he’d feel about live silkworm treats?😁

They sell dog treats made with BSFL these days. My aunt's dogs love them!

My silks are constantly by a source of heat, have had almost no die offs out of 300, maybe like a handful. Its just... i am use to faster growers. They are eating and growing, i can SEE the growth but its just SLOW

Back
Top Bottom