Silkworm food

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all,
Are leaves that have fallen from mulberry trees usable for feed or have they lost thier nutrients?
Just wondering if they could be put to use as they are very hard to find in my area.

They would have to still be green. They can be frozen, dried, ground up and used as feed. That is basically what the powder is made from.

Hi all,
Are leaves that have fallen from mulberry trees usable for feed or have they lost thier nutrients?
Just wondering if they could be put to use as they are very hard to find in my area.
As I understand it, even older leaves still on the tree are usually rejected. I think they like the new growth.

I could see grinding them up and reconstituting them with water, just not sure how long they'll last on just dried leaves. I've noticed them munching on kale I've put in the cham feeder, so I think they may try to eat the leaves. I'm not sure that they'll get the hydration / humidity from the dried leaves, though.

I could see grinding them up and reconstituting them with water, just not sure how long they'll last on just dried leaves. I've noticed them munching on kale I've put in the cham feeder, so I think they may try to eat the leaves. I'm not sure that they'll get the hydration / humidity from the dried leaves, though.
I figured naturally the greener the better but thought maybe the fallen ones could be ground and used somehow. Thanks for the info

I've had my silks eat butternut squash (ran out of food) in their bin as well as hibiscus inside a cham cage.

As I understand it, even older leaves still on the tree are usually rejected. I think they like the new growth.
I too have heard this and its typical. Most critters prefer new growth as it's the highest nutritional value as well as easiest to gnaw on.

The issue with fresh mulberry is that, from what I've heard/understand, they will not transition off of it. So, if you do go this route, make sure you can gather enough consistently to sustain them!

Best wishes.

I've had my silks eat butternut squash (ran out of food) in their bin as well as hibiscus inside a cham cage.

I too have heard this and its typical. Most critters prefer new growth as it's the highest nutritional value as well as easiest to gnaw on.

The issue with fresh mulberry is that, from what I've heard/understand, they will not transition off of it. So, if you do go this route, make sure you can gather enough consistently to sustain them!

Best wishes.
Well if that's the case maybe I should just forget it cause as I said earlier it's not my tree and if I get shot and die while stealing leaves then they won't have anything to eat. Good info tho.

Back
Top Bottom