silkworm enclosure, any problems?

zombiepixel

Here is my first attempt at making a silkworm enclosure. below is a step by step. I have silkworm cups from mulberry farms and I want to move them out of it and into this bigger container. I haven't done it yet, I wanted to wait until I got feedback from you guys, just in case I used or did something that could harm the silkworms.

4125955879_dbcd0be4fa.jpg

materials:

1. medium glad ware style container
2. plastic canvas
3. wooden dowel
4. wire

Tools:

1. scissors
2. wire cutters
3. ruler
4. glue gun
5. exacto knife

4126718914_876032ef5b.jpg

1. from the depth I wanted the canvas to sit I measure the sides of the container and cut a piece of canvas to match.
4125949921_304ca23b88.jpg

2. Measured and cut 3 lengths of the wooden dowels then hot glued them to the inside of the container. I also trimmed rounded corners for the canvas to fit better.
4126721174_2a0474dfd6.jpg

3. I then used the wire and created two handles for the canvas so I could easily lift it out and dump waste from the container.
4126722332_dd6be15c4e.jpg

4125953217_90aaba2e7f_b.jpg

4. Following the design of the lid, I cut out a hole with the exacto knife and glued another piece of canvas to the lid so they could breath.
4125954757_010625011c.jpg

that's it, only took about 30min.

Well from my limited knowledge of silkworms, I know everything has to be clean clean clean. Make sure everything is sterile.

Perfect dude! Great DIY!!!

I think you might find that the lid won't be needed.... sometimes the humidity can climb even with that vented lid. You could lower the tray a bit into the bin so the silks can't climb out as easy.... and then the lid won't matter. Most of the time silks won't wander off if they have chow. They have one goal... eat eat eat eat eat then cocoon. :D

I've washed everything with antibacterial handsoap and water before construction. The wooden dowel was steam cleaned about a month ago. Hopefully that is clean enough, if not I can clean some more.

I've transplanted one of the cups into this new container, we'll see how it goes. It's already doing a good job of collecting frass on the bottom. but hopefully it's not going to kill them.

I didn't put all of the food in there just about a tablespoon on each side.

These guys get big fast, i've only had them since friday and some were already huge.

Idea: Removable bottom. Easier to remove frass and doesn't disturb the silkies? ;p Or you could make a small hole and put a cover on it that goes on and off... oooh my creative juices are kind of flowing a little bit.

thanks guys I will keep you informed. I just made my first mistake in this build.

I was stupid and put food on each side of the container and they all have congregated on the sides, weighed them down, and a couple fell to the bottom.

So if you follow my instructions don't put food on the outer edges where there isn't any support DOH!!

Syn - your avatar is hilarious, I keep getting the feeling of severe disapproval from it.

drewtt - yeah I got the plastic canvas from Michael's

oooh, building on Syn's idea: cut the bottom of the tupperware off completely, then turn the tupperware upside down so all the frass falls on the lid and it can be easily opened up and taken out. with the dowels in the way, it might be hard to get a good scrub without knocking them off! (or you can have the dowels be extra long so that they can slide into the tupperware for easy removal/ cleaning instead of gluing them.) and maybe plastic dowels will be easier to clean than wood, or you can use plastic chopsticks instead.

worm-yay.jpg

right now ive been keeping silkworms in a cardboard box lined with computer paper with no lid and theyve been doing well. then again they are large silkies, babies might be difficult to keep this way. i dont know what ill do when i raise them from eggs! good luck

silkie enclosure day 1

since the canvas isn't fixed to the sides of the containers silkworms are crawling to the underneath side or down all the way to the floor. I had to fish out about 20 when I got home from work.

I think if you could seal the canvas to the walls of the enclosure with a glue gun or something that would probably work better. I think that WHITESPYDER's idea is probably the way to go. I'll try and build that this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom