Silkworm eggs?

PhunkeyPhish

Hey,
Just wanted to see what the best place to buy silk worm eggs from is in regards to cost as well as quality. I was looking at Mullberry farms. For eggs and food and the shipping its close to 60 dollars which I thought is a little steep - 30 bucks for shipping on eggs???

I bought post paid eggs from the coastal silkworms for $13.00 total including shipping I think. But they aren't shipped with much to protect from weather, just a padded envelope with foam. I wasn't sure about them since it was so cold here the day they arrived and they sat in my mailbox for hours, but they just stared hatching today. I buy silkworm chow from oregonsilkworms.com

I bought mine from mulberry a week ago and all my eggs just hatched. Great price and got mulberry chew while I was there

Another question: I am looking for the gutter guard for the worm enclosures and can only find stainless steel. Where do I find the rubber kind?

Is the stainless steel fine to use? That's all I can find, but it seems like most people use rubber material gutter guard.

Nope, I would advise against the steel stuff. I use the plastic gutter guard in my pods I sell and in my colony containers. Amazon or Lowe's is where I get it depending on price at that time. Hope this helps!

Cold weather shouldn't be an issue since one of the first things you do is store the eggs in the refrigerator for 2 - 3 months after they've been laid, unless instructed otherwise instructed.

Thanks. It had been like real cold (in the teens) but is going to be in the 30's and 40's so ordered the eggs. Have my incubator coming soon too. Can't wait to start a colony!!

Try to find out from your vendor if they've already been refrigerated. I got some from Coastal Silkworms and they said they did not require refrigeration or incubation once they arrived as they had already put them through that process. It took around three (3) weeks for them to hatch at room temperature (~72 degrees F). They'll turn a grey-ish blue color just before hatching. Make sure you have food prepared when they are about to hatch. Don't over feed and keep them dry and warm. Coastal provides a nice care sheet, but there's a good post on these forums regarding raising them. This is my first try too.

Thanks. I ordered them from Mullberry farms along with some food. I found some good information here, as well as other places too. I plan to keep them in the low 80's during hatching and until they get a little bigger before moving them to the room temp housing. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom