Silkies eating carrots?

AndrewH

Hi all,

so i ran out of chow and had no mulberry leaves available, instead of having them just die on me, i just threw in some carrots, i figured they would at least get the moisture from it.

surprisingly they just gobbled them all up and are continuing to grow and eat for a whole week.

can silkies really live off of other food contrary to popular belief of only chow and mulberry leaves?

they are starting to get an orange tint to them which is kinda cool :)

silkies can live off if it fir a long time, but not permanantly (post pics i wanna see the orange in em XD)

Hi all,
so i ran out of chow and had no mulberry leaves available, instead of having them just die on me, i just threw in some carrots, i figured they would at least get the moisture from it.surprisingly they just gobbled them all up and are continuing to grow and eat for a whole week.
can silkies really live off of other food contrary to popular belief of only chow and mulberry leaves?
they are starting to get an orange tint to them which is kinda cool :)

A very helpful tip. Thanks!

:) Yes, i fed them carrots when i ran out of mulberry.
The frass will turn orange as well.

This makes me want to take a few of mine and seperate them and feed carrots. I would love to see orange silkies.:D

quick question - slightly off topic...

are silkies a good source of all the essentials for my cham? I'm still feeding crickets with supplements just in case. Thanks!

Actually, when i ran out of chow for my silkies, their frass turned orange, but they seemed slightly orange or discolored. I don't know if it was from them brushing up on their frass when it accumulated or what, but yeah... they weren't completely white...

Actually, when i ran out of chow for my silkies, their frass turned orange, but they seemed slightly orange or discolored. I don't know if it was from them brushing up on their frass when it accumulated or what, but yeah... they weren't completely white...

there is no slight coloration frass if you feed the silkies carrot.
The frass will definitely be orange and there should be no doubt about it :)
But, as I mention in silkworms 101 thread, you cannot feed the silkies carrot alone.
Soon, they will shrivel and die.

quick question - slightly off topic...

are silkies a good source of all the essentials for my cham? I'm still feeding crickets with supplements just in case. Thanks!

yes! Silkies are very nutritious and one of the feeder that you can use as staple food for your chameleon. But, always favor variety of feeders for your chameleon. Don't settle on 1 type of feeder for your chameleon.

Variety is the key :)

Well, I guess the best part of this news is feeding carrots along with the mulberry, will kind of gutload silkies with the vit A carrot has.

Back
Top Bottom