Silkie enclosure !

Nothing special but I wanted to share what I made today. :)
The only issue now is I need mesh with large holes. Ill upgrade once I've fed these dudes off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 178
No I just more so liked the thought of there being a top, especially when my boys roam. If there wasn't a top they would feed right put of it

I want to start keeping silkworms for when i get a panther chameleon. what all would i need to keep a nice colony. and could i use silkies as a main feeder?

Yeah If you can afford it go for it, but they do need variety regardless. Crickets aren't the best feeder but they do create a lot of stimulation for your Cham when they hunt them.
As for keeping them. I would obviously suggest getting a Rubbermaid like I did and turning upside, cutting a hole and suspending mesh screen about 2/3 the way up. The bottom needs to be an easy to remove lid so the waste collected at the bottom can be discarded without disturbing your worms. I used a drill and made four small holes on each side about a 1/2 inch apart and put zip toes through them to suspend the mesh. You want to avoid any chemical substance to help suspend the mesh of course because its your chams food.

Silk worms are very fragile can not thrive in a bacteria ridden environment so you will need to sanitize this enclosure before placing them in it. I use a few drops of iodiphor sanitizer in a full sink and dunk it, then let it air dry on top or paper towels.

After that just purchase your bulk worms and food from coastal silkworms and you are set. Just be sure to follow the instructions on the packet in regards to preparing the food

Yeah If you can afford it go for it, but they do need variety regardless. Crickets aren't the best feeder but they do create a lot of stimulation for your Cham when they hunt them.
As for keeping them. I would obviously suggest getting a Rubbermaid like I did and turning upside, cutting a hole and suspending mesh screen about 2/3 the way up. The bottom needs to be an easy to remove lid so the waste collected at the bottom can be discarded without disturbing your worms. I used a drill and made four small holes on each side about a 1/2 inch apart and put zip toes through them to suspend the mesh. You want to avoid any chemical substance to help suspend the mesh of course because its your chams food.

Silk worms are very fragile can not thrive in a bacteria ridden environment so you will need to sanitize this enclosure before placing them in it. I use a few drops of iodiphor sanitizer in a full sink and dunk it, then let it air dry on top or paper towels.

After that just purchase your bulk worms and food from coastal silkworms and you are set. Just be sure to follow the instructions on the packet in regards to preparing the food

awesome! thanks for all of the detailed advice. I (and my cham) definitely want more variety in his diet. I plan on having silkworms, hornworms, crickets, and possibly dubia roaches as feeders.

I keep mine in a large Tupperware container with no lid. I put the little trellis in there that comes with the pod and they climb on that. I clean the poop out every other day. They seem to do well this way. They actually do not try to climb out. Sometimes they will climb on the rim but that is as far as they go.

Nothing special but I wanted to share what I made today. :)
The only issue now is I need mesh with large holes. Ill upgrade once I've fed these dudes off

If I'm seeing correctly, the mesh you have them on is suspended so that the poop falls through??? Or is it just suspended on one end so they can crawl up? Do you put their food on the mesh or do you have a bowl to keep it in?? Do you use the chow or fresh leaves? Sorry for all of the questions but I'm going to order some eggs and would like to raise my own. Thanks for the info..:)

The mesh is suspended so the poop falls through, you can't take the worms in and out to clean it because they are fragile and do not take well to any bacteria. I also have food in a line on the mesh. You can buy leaves or the chow. I bought the chow this time.

Back
Top Bottom