Silkie eggs

grimjob

Established Member
Finally got my silkie eggs now for the raising, would love to see others set up for keeping and raising silk worms

Here's what I use, first of all I take a simple plastic container from the dollar store about 12"x12", I cut a big hole in the top and glue in a screen so that not too much moisture builds up inside. I then use normal school roll on glue on the bottom and then pour the eggs out on the glue. I roll them around until they all stick. I check them daily and once I see one hatch, 24hrs later I grate off the mulberry chow for them and replace it as they need it or as it drys out. After they are all about 1/4" long I move them to a 10 gallon glass tank with the same type screen top and start feeding them mulberry leaves. Hope that helps!
silkworm%20container.jpg

silkworm%20eggs.jpg

Ok, so the glue doesn't harm them? What is the point of the glue? to stop them from rolling around? Roughly how long do they take to hatch? I'm super excited these will be the start of my breeding clutch, thanks all for commenting

No the glue does not harm them, and yes it keeps them from rolling around because normally they would be naturally attached to a leaf. I've had eggs hatch in 5 days and some took 15 days, multiple factors involved so you just need to check them everyday. They are extremely small when they hatch so you have to look very closely, I lightly blow on them, whenever winds hits them (at any age) they always move their head back and forth, its also a great way to see if they are dead or not.

now i want to start breeding these lol my goodness! thanks!

It is really very easy and actually quite enjoyable, especially if you let it go full circle and let them cocoon and then turn into moths, breed and lay eggs. You can get started at Coastal Silkworms just buy some eggs from them.

It is really very easy and actually quite enjoyable, especially if you let it go full circle and let them cocoon and then turn into moths, breed and lay eggs. You can get started at Coastal Silkworms just buy some eggs from them.

really? how long have you been doing it?

I followed pigglett's blog and I absolutely love breeding silkies. PLUS.. the moths are way cute. After they serve their cuteness purpose and mate and lay eggs.. my chams LOVE to eat em up too. :p Here are a few pictures of the moths after they emerge from their cocoons. Also a video of one of mine laying her eggs. Enjoy and good luck! :D
https://www.chameleonforums.com/do-they-have-so-cute-116229/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqsphPZ5CZA

My boys just love the moths too. Even my beardie went crazy for them.

Back
Top Bottom