Silk worm recommendations

Hey everyone! I've been having trouble finding silk worm vendors recently. I was able to get a batch from Coastal Silkworms before they ran out, but I need some more, and everywhere I look, they're sold out. Those who use silkworms as feeders, what do you guys recommend? Do you stock up when they come out? If so, how are you keeping them alive for a month +?

I just buy the eggs from coastal. 500 for 10 bucks shipped. Then again i have a few mulberry trees at work so i dont have to buy the chow. If you do get the eggs, they dont need anything special, just keep the dish at room temp for about a week and they will hatch on their own.

I just buy the eggs from coastal. 500 for 10 bucks shipped. Then again i have a few mulberry trees at work so i dont have to buy the chow. If you do get the eggs, they dont need anything special, just keep the dish at room temp for about a week and they will hatch on their own.

What do you keep them in? This may be the best option here.

What do you keep them in? This may be the best option here.

I just keep them in a tall tote, 500 can be stored in a 1 square foot tote(i use a kitty litter plastic bin). Then i just layer some leaves each day, they will naturally crawl to the top. Here is this years batch of 500 that is in a 4 pound animal cracker jug, they are 2 weeks old and about 1" long.
2017-07-13 17.15.38.jpg

I just keep them in a tall tote, 500 can be stored in a 1 square foot tote(i use a kitty litter plastic bin). Then i just layer some leaves each day, they will naturally crawl to the top. Here is this years batch of 500 that is in a 4 pound animal cracker jug, they are 2 weeks old and about 1" long.
View attachment 185796

Follow up question, how do you keep that clean? Do you have to take them all out?

Follow up question, how do you keep that clean? Do you have to take them all out?

I dont clean normally. I just keep layering. I only have to clean if the humidity is too high and i get mold. If i do that, all i do is peel off the top half inch of leaves with all the worms on them, and transplant them. Im not sure about your silky experience, but for me, its dont touch them if you dont have to, and dont put the un eaten ones back. Ones grown off leaves are hardier, but they still can die if you play with them too much.

I ended up buying the egg kit from coastal silk worms. Seems like buying eggs can be a pretty cheap way to get these guys and have accsss to feeders.

Appreciate all the help!

Back
Top Bottom