Sick Veiled

lpatroske

I have a male veiled chameleon, approx. 1.5 yrs old. I have always misted his plants as a means of his getting water to drink. I have a reptile store near me, and the owner told me he believes he is dehydrated since he was eating well until 2 days ago. I thought he was dead as he was just laying in is plant (something he had never done before). I told my boyfriend to take him out, I just couldn't do it and he moved! Over night again I thought he was dead and I tried to remove him from the cage, and he moved again. I have never handled Pablo since he didn't like that, but he is so sick he let me. l placed him near a heat source and I have ice cubes dripping so he can get water. He actually looks a little better, but my questions is how do I make him drink?? I don't want him to die, but it so hard watching him right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Should I spray him with warm water???

I would start by filling this out.
That should give us enough information to help you start to figure this out.
Also posting some pictures of your chameleon may help us figure out whats going on in case it's something other than dehydration.

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled approx. 1.5 yrs old. I have had him since Sept. of 2013Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Each day - small crickets, horn super worms
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium ea feeding, D3/vitamins every other week
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I spray his plants. NOW letting ice cubes drip fro top of cage
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Not a lot of fecal material, but it is brown with white urate. Seems normal
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He was fine until several days ago

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screened cage - 30" across, 35" high
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Repi Sun - brand new - 2 heat lams 25 watt bulbs
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 65-72
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 70-75
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? umbrella plant and a ZZ
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located? The cage in a bedroom that is not occupied. He has a peaceful place - not a lot of activity. I live alone

I have a male veiled chameleon, approx. 1.5 yrs old. I have always misted his plants as a means of his getting water to drink. I have a reptile store near me, and the owner told me he believes he is dehydrated since he was eating well until 2 days ago. I thought he was dead as he was just laying in is plant (something he had never done before). I told my boyfriend to take him out, I just couldn't do it and he moved! Over night again I thought he was dead and I tried to remove him from the cage, and he moved again. I have never handled Pablo since he didn't like that, but he is so sick he let me. l placed him near a heat source and I have ice cubes dripping so he can get water. He actually looks a little better, but my questions is how do I make him drink?? I don't want him to die, but it so hard watching him right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Should I spray him with warm water???

I don't see a lot in your husbandry that seems off, but something is definitely wrong. If you drip warm water on his face does he try to lick it? That might help. Also, since he hasn't been eating you could mix some Pedialyte in with the water you give him to drink...get him some calories and energy. This is only for short term use to give him a boost. I think you need to take him to a vet now!

pretty sure he is gone

I can't stand to go back in there right now. I am pretty sure he is dead. He always hated me and ran and hide, but is so ill he let me hold him today. I want to tell people not to buy chameleons. I see on here so many people asking for help, or theirs died. They are delicate. He was fine, and then just overnight went down hill. I guess I should go back in the room with him. He is on his side, so pretty sure he didn't make it. I just feel like I should have known better than to think I would know enough about taking care of him. Thank you again for trying to help me.

It is hard to say what went wrong. Sometimes you can do everything right and they still get sick and even die. If he is gone, I am sorry. The only way you would be able to find out is have your vet do a necropsy on him. It may give you piece of mind to know.

Back
Top Bottom