Sick Pygmy?

kmisher

I think of of my two new Pygmy's mighty be sick. They arrives just about a week ago and ate a few crickets that first day. One is now very lethargic, low to the ground, seems weak and his color is dark. I have the terrarium at 70 degrees and wonder if I should warm it up a bit? Looking for a vet in the area....any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

Karen

Additional info on sick Pygmy

Some additional info on the above Pygmy:
Enclosre: 20 gal aquarium, substrate is clay pebbles, charcoal, then organic soil (mesh between layers). Live plants, mostly ferns. Lots of climbing sticks. Some moss
Lights: One UVB and one Day Bulb
Temp: hovering around 70 daytime and 62-65 at night

I have been releasing crickets into the cage every other day (as oppose to a feeding cup). Ate on Tuesday last week, but I haven't seen him eat since (doesn't mean that he didn't).

He's looking pretty weak.

Attachments

• sick.JPG
    sick.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Yes, not looking good is he/she?
Is it housed alone or with others? If with others, try housing it alone, as quick as you can. Though tbh, it could be a number of things. That's the trouble with WC animals. But if it was feeding, it could be stress due to intimidation from tank mates. Seen this with a couple of mine in the past. Especially brevs... they are aggressive little buggers.
Those temps are fine, mine are kept at room temps & only a T5 uv tube to raise temps a degree or two. Mine go down to 50 at night with no problems.

He is pretty grave at this point. He fell off his branch and I immediately moved him to a small box with some moss in there and into another room. He was with another male, but I had never seem them pay attention to each other at all. He is laying on his side. SO SAD. I did give him a drop of water and he seemed to take it. Just trying to keep him comfortable...

: (

He is pretty grave at this point. He fell off his branch and I immediately moved him to a small box with some moss in there and into another room. He was with another male, but I had never seem them pay attention to each other at all. He is laying on his side. SO SAD. I did give him a drop of water and he seemed to take it. Just trying to keep him comfortable...

: (

Yes it's very sad & worst still that there's very little you can do. I very much doubt a vet would be able to either. I would expect the worst i'm afraid to say. Been there a few times myself now.
I have lost them when housed as trios m/f/f & m/f pairs & even a f/f pair of temporalis that were together for over a year. Then one day, ones dead. I have not lost any since i have housed them individually (touch wood). Could just be a coincidence, but it was the one connection i noticed about those i lost. Couldn't put my finger on anything else.
Got my fingers crossed for you & the little fella. :(

When I kept them I gave them a basking area in the high seventies F. I'd try raising the temperature in one area of the cage a bit.

It could also have to do with the presence of the other male.

Yes he doesnt look the greatest.

Just because he fell from a branch doesnt mean its the end of the world. There could be multiple things at play.

Their self defense mechanism is the faint when they are threatened to mimic a falling leaf. If he is extrememly stressed it could be why hes falling. Or like stated above it could be illness.

Is he in a high traffic area? is he housed with another male?

I am very sad to say the little guy died last night. He was housed with another male, and perhaps that was the issue. Not sure I'll ever know. A female arrives tomorrow to join the remaining male. I'll keep a close eye on them both. Added one more light to get one side of the 20g tank into the mid 70's.

Sigh.... it's amazing how fast one can get attached to new creatures.

Thanks for all the replies.

Karen

Yes, I set-up a quarantine tank today. The new female actually won't arrive until next week now. Gives the one guy in the tank now some time to settle in. Crossing my fingers that all will do well....

Sorry you lost the little guy. Hope all goes well with the other one and the female.

Btw...do you know they play dead remarkably well?

Back
Top Bottom