Sick panther needs help

unravel

Hi,

my male panther is sick :( i may have been the guilty party...

about a week ago i all of a sudden noticed his listlessness and sunken eyes, after which i became extremely worried and began treatments of long showers, pedialyte baths, natural sunlight etc

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - male panther - have had him for about a year now since birth
Handling - barely
Feeding - gut loaded crickets w/ calcium every other day, d3 once a week and same for multivit
Supplements - see above - good brand
Watering - ive always manually misted him and seen him drink. i have had a week from hell and have only had a chance to water him once a day for a week, im afraid i contributed to him being so sick right now... He drinks in his prolonged shower sessions, fairly every time (i basically stand for 30 min and spray him with warm water and he welcomes it and drinks it)
Fecal Description - he has never been tested for parasites and his most recent feces had a hint of green to it. it was a very small dropping too and he seems to strain a LOT while trying to poop. There were also red/bloodish parts at times. He did recently eat a leaf i think, or could be parasites. Either way he is not eating and hasnt for a week i think.
History - always been happy and healthy :(

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 24x24x48 screen
Lighting/Temp - reptisun 5.0 + 60W light providing a 90deg basking spot, monitoring by IR thermometer. During the day cage ranges from 90 to 77 deg and at night about 77

Humidity - measured via random digital thermometer with built in humidity, not most accurate but ive always manually sprayed him and watched him drink. Currently i may be overdoing it on humidity as im trying to bring him back to life, having a fogger running + spraying three times a day for about 20-30 minutes at a time
Plants - umbrella plant
Placement - cage may be near an air vent but i never thought of it impacting him, maybe summer + cold air? ive turned air off in the house for now.
Location - Philadelphia

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Not eating (about a week), drinking, sunken eyes, always red/light colored, listless, sleeping during the day, orangeish urates

i dont know if its severe dehydration or parasites, have a vet apt for thursday (two good local rep vets have gone on vacation for two weeks, both same time... :( )
This is horrible timing, my gf is undergoing surgery and i feel like i contributed to killing my favorite pet :( From stories ive read they all end in "he passed away..."

How do dehydration recoveries go? How long can he sustain parasites and not eating?

Thank you everyone

pics of him basking outside just now.. the wrinkles + sunken eyes, and his bone structure is really showing (not apparent from pic) particularly the hip bones, which is a sign of malnutrition/dehydration in a lot of reptiles
7631379384_b9002817f4_b.jpg

7631383524_07f5488e7e_b.jpg

I would do 3x daily showers, so he has plenty of water.
I would also get a fecal test done by your vet, to check for parasites.

What do you gutload with>

do you only feed crickets?

If so, I would look into getting other bugs for him to eat.

Hornworms are great for rehydrating.

SIlkworms are awesome, and dubias are big fat meaty bugs.

yep fecal is next on the list, if i can actually find any of his feces...

i gutload with veggies + rodent feed. i have only really fed him crickets in past couple of months, before that dubia and crickets. he has never shown any interest in any type of a worm sadly, would appreciate some tactics on how to feed him them.

I wouldnt be using rodent food at all.

Its high in protein, and protein can be bad for a cham.
I would only use fresh fruits and veggies to gutload with.

try getting big worms and showing them to him. They like things that squiggle.

I wouldnt be using rodent food at all.

Its high in protein, and protein can be bad for a cham.
I would only use fresh fruits and veggies to gutload with.

try getting big worms and showing them to him. They like things that squiggle.

thats true about feeder, ill keep it in mind. they never really liked it anyway and always went for fruits + veggies. i did try the worm thing (well superworms for now) and he just looks at them. Any way to instigate a feeding response? i really need a fecal sample as well :(

thats true about feeder, ill keep it in mind. they never really liked it anyway and always went for fruits + veggies. i did try the worm thing (well superworms for now) and he just looks at them. Any way to instigate a feeding response? i really need a fecal sample as well :(

hornworms and silkworms do alot better at stimulating their appetite. and they are so omuch better for them.

and they are caterpillars, so you can put them loose in your cage, and he can hunt them down, that helps with stimulating them as well.

hornworms and silkworms do alot better at stimulating their appetite. and they are so omuch better for them.

and they are caterpillars, so you can put them loose in your cage, and he can hunt them down, that helps with stimulating them as well.

do you know where i can get some, i know local stores dont sell them. any good sources online that are cost effective?

Mulberryfarms.com sells silks.

and greatlakehorms.com is the ONLY place i know of selling hornworms right now..

which would you suggest, silk or hornworms? thank you btw

If you can, both.

SIlks are a great staple feeder, so you can feed them all th etime.

Horns are great for hydration.

horns grow super fast, silks fast but not quite as fast.

if you have a hydration problem, id get big fat juicy hornworms.

yeah im in grad school and on a tight budget, with vet bills etc im just gonna order 20 silk worms for like $20 shipped or so, feed em to my monitor too :p

I get that
Im in grad school too. and I have 4 chams. and 38 eggs. :)

ouch :) soon you'll be spending more on their food (if not already)

how long, on average, is recovery from dehydration? I want to rule it out at some point, i think i can soon as hes not getting better :/

ouch :) soon you'll be spending more on their food (if not already)

how long, on average, is recovery from dehydration? I want to rule it out at some point, i think i can soon as hes not getting better :/

They eat like i starve them haha.

and yea but ive got tim eto feed th new mouths, as they arent due to hatch till december.

and i think to get fully rehydrated, takes about 2-3 weeks give or take.

but honestly, he doesnt look that bad off. some big fat bugs, lots of water, and if hes parasite free.. then you are good to go!

yeah i just remember when my green tree monitor injured his tongue while eating a dubia (just a guess), but from worrying i took him to a vet and did all this stuff that racked up the bill to $300.. in the end everything was okay he was parasite free etc etc vet couldnt find anything, and a week later (after a LOT of stress on the monitor from seeing the vet.. he isnt the friendlist green tree around ;)) his tongue simply recouped and he was back to normal

basically, dont want to spend $150 + stress the lights out of my cham to see a vet if its a dehydration issue :/

same time don't want to wait for him to get worse to see a vet, guess i have till thursday!

yeah i just remember when my green tree monitor injured his tongue while eating a dubia (just a guess), but from worrying i took him to a vet and did all this stuff that racked up the bill to $300.. in the end everything was okay he was parasite free etc etc vet couldnt find anything, and a week later (after a LOT of stress on the monitor from seeing the vet.. he isnt the friendlist green tree around ;)) his tongue simply recouped and he was back to normal

basically, dont want to spend $150 + stress the lights out of my cham to see a vet if its a dehydration issue :/

same time don't want to wait for him to get worse to see a vet, guess i have till thursday!

Most vets will do a fecal without having to see the animal.

You can rehydrate him on your own.

ask your vet if they can do the sample, if hes parasite free, all is well. if not, then you take him in.

Thank you for your advice, i did just that and the stool sample came back negative for parasites.

This led me to develop another theory-- he was dehydrated for a week, started eating his umbrella plant (parts of leaves missing), and is constipated as he is straining and whatever he does poop is green.

He has been recovering for a week and a half now and eyes still sunken and still not eating. Not sure what to do, i know significant dehydration can lead to kidney failure and what not and i hope he isnt at a point where he cant recover anymore.

Not sure what to do, any tips? Ive been really pumping up the humidity (too much maybe) warm showers, humidifier, pedialyte bath or two, having him drink pedialyte.. some silk worms in the mail tomorrow too that maybe he'll take, right now offering him crickets and dubia.

Would appreciate any advice on restoring his kidney and/or constipation

Thanks!

Most vets will do a fecal without having to see the animal.

You can rehydrate him on your own.

ask your vet if they can do the sample, if hes parasite free, all is well. if not, then you take him in.

Back
Top Bottom