Sick Male Veiled 8 months old

jacquoo

My Rango is very sick he has been to the Vet twice we are awaiting lab results. He stopped eating a month ago, I have been foricng him to eat dusted hornworns and gut loaded crickets w/ Repashy calcium plus , misting 4 x a day, 18x18x24 screen cage with potho's and fake plants no substrate and free range branches and pothos plants I let him out when I am home and he was crusing around on them yesterday. He just stopped eating 2/13/19, took him to the vet and he could find nothing wrong, He has T5 ho 5 tube bulb and power sun 100 watt bulb, Ive been forcing him every couple of days to eat, he has been drinking, last night he sneezed a couple times, today we went back to the vet and gave him fluids, multivitamin shot and broad spectrum antiboitic. He is home and just laying there and his respirations are only 4 a min and labored. I don't think he will make it through the night. I don't know what else to do for him, his cage is 85 now with lights off. basking 95. Pooped today very little urate, he went down hill quick "overnight". I am so sad and feel horrible for the little guy.

My Rango is very sick he has been to the Vet twice we are awaiting lab results. He stopped eating a month ago, I have been foricng him to eat dusted hornworns and gut loaded crickets w/ Repashy calcium plus , misting 4 x a day, 18x18x24 screen cage with potho's and fake plants no substrate and free range branches and pothos plants I let him out when I am home and he was crusing around on them yesterday. He just stopped eating 2/13/19, took him to the vet and he could find nothing wrong, He has T5 ho 5 tube bulb and power sun 100 watt bulb, Ive been forcing him every couple of days to eat, he has been drinking, last night he sneezed a couple times, today we went back to the vet and gave him fluids, multivitamin shot and broad spectrum antiboitic. He is home and just laying there and his respirations are only 4 a min and labored. I don't think he will make it through the night. I don't know what else to do for him, his cage is 85 now with lights off. basking 95. Pooped today very little urate, he went down hill quick "overnight". I am so sad and feel horrible for the little guy.
Hey there I am so sorry your going through this. fill this out so others can look at it. Are you running T5 UVB and the power sun bulb? Do you have a solarmeter to double check your UVI level? Because the Power sun is a Mercury Vapor bulb and extremely powerful typically used in very large enclosures. They can not be placed right on the enclosure because they are so powerful. If you are running both it could be overexposure to UVB..... Depending on his age the temps may be too high as well. High temps can accompany a Mercury Vapor bulb as well as the massive amount of UVB they produce.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Last edited:
yes with such a small cage there isn't much room for an ambient temperature. please fill out the form mentioned above.i hope he feels better soon and I'm sorry to hear about you troubles

Sorry to say Rango past away. He had elevated white count and his electrolytes were off. He was mostly free ranged and the mercury bulb was 8 inches above the cage the t5 ho was on the wall til I brought him home from the dr. I have a female with a 32x32x52 and she is doing excellent. Rango was an adoption I had him only 2 months and he wasn’t very active to begin with. I’m sad it’s amazing how you can fall in love with a chameleon

Sorry to say Rango past away. He had elevated white count and his electrolytes were off. He was mostly free ranged and the mercury bulb was 8 inches above the cage the t5 ho was on the wall til I brought him home from the dr. I have a female with a 32x32x52 and she is doing excellent. Rango was an adoption I had him only 2 months and he wasn’t very active to begin with. I’m sad it’s amazing how you can fall in love with a chameleon
I am sorry for your loss, me and mine are sending our strength and love. I'm glad you're female is doing well and hopefully this does not discourage you from the hobby, chameleons are fascinating creatures

Thank you I do admit I am still learning but I really researched everyday and try to do everything right. My poor little buddy

Back
Top Bottom