Sick Chameleon?

Jaymetheturtle

Hello! I've had my panther chameleon for about 2 weeks now. Everything has seemed to been going fine until recently. TodayLeo (my cham) has been showing some strange behavior. I mist his enclosure about 3 times a day but he has been unusually thirsty and drinking straight from my spray spout, and also leaving his mouth open and just chilling on the branch. Now he did just finish his shed and I'm not sure if this could be the cause. Leo is between 4-7 months I think, I'm not really sure. He hasn't lost any apetite but I'm just worried these may be early symptoms of a sickness.

Hey! Would you mind filling this out to give everyone a more complete picture?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

Could be a few things here, but generally speaking when a chameleon is sitting with mouth open it is often due to overheating. As for drinking, many chameleons will drink quite a bit when water is offered which is why many will suggest automated misting systems to allow for extended periods and chances to drink. You may want to fill out the "how to ask for help" form (just copy and paste into thread and type your answers onto it) so we can see if anything looks out of the ordinary. Adding a few pictures of the enclosure and chameleon can also help out.

Here is the link...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

@DrRhymes posted first (I'm slow at typing :D)

@Jaymetheturtle said... "he has been unusually thirsty and drinking straight from my spray spout,and also leaving his mouth open and just chilling on the branch"...Does he hold the nose up in the air? Does he keep his mouth open most if the time? You aren't spraying water into his mouth are you?
What's the basking temperature? Is there any bubbling in the mouth when it's open?
Excess drinking can occur when a chameleon is gravid too....don't know if yours is or not from the photos in your other thread.

Back
Top Bottom