Sick chameleon

larikarma

My baby Karma has been weak for about 5 days. She cannot stand on her own, won't eat, barely opens her eyes, and just lays on her side at the bottom of her cage. Today we went to the pet store and got new UVB light, added moss, got new food and had to force feed her. Her color changes from bright green to light brown on her sides until she is touched, then she curls up. She's pooped on my boyfriend twice. We keep thinking she's died twice now, until she starts moving around and opening her eyes.
Here is some info.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, female, about 10 months?, we've had her for 9 months.
Handling - Very often, she loves playing around in my hair and crawls around my arms.
Feeding - She used to eat 10 live crickets a week, then ate less as she got older. Calcium powder on the crickets. Now that she is sick, we are force feeding meal worms.
Supplements - Fluker's calcium with vitamin D3.
Watering - Spray her a few times a day, dripper and bowl.
Fecal Description - Used to be light brown ball droppings, now dark brown almost liquid.
History - She has always been active and healthy. She's always been way too small for her age even though we feed her consistently. Used to be happy and reacted to being held. Loved climbing her branches, now she just lays at the bottom.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage, around 30x18x18
Lighting - Zoomed 5 UVB Reptisun dome compact bulb. around 12 hours of light a day.
Temperature - 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Humidity - 80 humidity
Plants - Branches
Placement - Corner of the room.
Location - Dallas, Texas

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 149
How often were you giving her the d3?. You have to be careful with that, as you can overdose on that. It should be given twice monthly. Also, a diet of just crickets is poor. They need variety. She is probably lacking vitamins. You never gave her a multi vitamin? What do you gutload your crickets with? Right now she looks in dyer shape. She is super thin, her casque is sunk in and so are her eyes. Do you have a basking light for her?. Has she ever laid eggs? Is that a lump on her hip?

My baby Karma has been weak for about 5 days. She cannot stand on her own, won't eat, barely opens her eyes, and just lays on her side at the bottom of her cage. Today we went to the pet store and got new UVB light, added moss, got new food and had to force feed her. Her color changes from bright green to light brown on her sides until she is touched, then she curls up. She's pooped on my boyfriend twice. We keep thinking she's died twice now, until she starts moving around and opening her eyes.
Here is some info.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, female, about 10 months?, we've had her for 9 months. She does not look that old at all.. She looks more like she's 3 months old.
Handling - Very often, she loves playing around in my hair and crawls around my arms.
Feeding - She used to eat 10 live crickets a week, then ate less as she got older. Calcium powder on the crickets. Now that she is sick, we are force feeding meal worms.
Supplements - Fluker's calcium with vitamin D3.Do you dust with d3 every feeding? It's imperative you get her calcium without d3 and that you use this for every day dusting. D3 should only be used 2x a month. Also you need a multivitamin supplement that should be used 2x a month too.
Watering - Spray her a few times a day, dripper and bowl.Chameleons cannot recognize standing water so the bowl is not necessary.
Fecal Description - Used to be light brown ball droppings, now dark brown almost liquid.Liquid poop can be a sign of parasites. Also what do her urates look like?
History - She has always been active and healthy. She's always been way too small for her age even though we feed her consistently. Used to be happy and reacted to being held. Loved climbing her branches, now she just lays at the bottom. Who did you buy her from?
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage, around 30x18x18 This would be a great size if she were in fact an adult female but at her size this is too big. I'd get her a cage that is 24"L x 12"W x 24"H.
Lighting - Zoomed 5 UVB Reptisun dome compact bulb. around 12 hours of light a day. Does she have a UVA bulb as well for basking?
Temperature - 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this ambient temperatures or basking spot temperatures? If ambient lower her temperatures down to 70-80 degrees!
Humidity - 80 humidity In between mistings?
Plants - Branches
Placement - Corner of the room.
Location - Dallas, Texas

I'm sorry to hear about your cham's condition :( But overall it seems like there are a couple things wrong with your husbandry that really need some changing.

She was our first Cham & we did make some mistakes. She passed just a few ago. Thank you for the input.

So sorry to hear of your loss :( Read up some more on husbandry though. Chameleons can be hard to care for but after learning from members on this forum you'll become an expert in no time.

Back
Top Bottom