Sick cham?

clandrauiv

New Member
I have 2 adolesent(3" body) chams, 1male and 1 female. The male just stoppped eatting, but the female is or seems fine, eating normal. Up until the male got sick, I did all that the pet store told me to do. So when he stopped eating I searched the web and found this forum. I've learned so much, its great. I believe it could be bacteria from the waterfall. Needless to say the petstore gave me bad advice and I wondering if its too late for the male. I do have a large enclosure which I had both chams in, had a waterfall, rarely misted them, and had no live plants. As of now I temporarlily have both of them in a smaller glass aquarium, until I redesign the larger enclosure. I've been hand misting 3-5 times a day, feeding 20-30 small crickets a day.

How long can they stay in the glass tank while I redesign the larger one?

They have always been together, bought together, and caged together. Will seperating them in the new enclosure, stress them out?

What can I do further to ensure the male gets better.
 
Last edited:

Jerm

Avid Member
You forgot to specify what species that they are. There is a vast difference in care depending this info.
 

Frank Castle

New Member
clandrauiv said:
I have 2 adolesent(3" body) chams, 1male and 1 female. The male just stoppped eatting, but the female is or seems fine, eating normal. Up until the male got sick, I did all that the pet store told me to do. So when he stopped eating I searched the web and found this forum. I've learned so much, its great. I believe it could be bacteria from the waterfall. Needless to say the petstore gave me bad advice and I wondering if its too late for the male. I do have a large enclosure which I had both chams in, had a waterfall, rarely misted them, and had no live plants. As of now I temporarlily have both of them in a smaller glass aquarium, until I redesign the larger enclosure. I've been hand misting 3-5 times a day, feeding 20-30 small crickets a day.

How long can they stay in the glass tank while I redesign the larger one?

They have always been together, bought together, and caged together. Will seperating them in the new enclosure, stress them out?

What can I do further to ensure the male gets better.

#1 Get rid of the water fall.

#2 Get them out of the glass enclosures as soon as possible and keep them seperate, both enclosures should be screened (No Glass). 2 chams= 2 enclosures that they cant see each other from.
The male may be stressed from being dominated by the female. He could also be dehydrated. You didnt mention what type of Chams they are, types of light you are using, what the cage temps are, What humidity is, and what if any suplimentation you are using.
#3 Take the male to a vet and get him checked out if you want to save him. ASAP. If in fact it is a bacterial/infection the sooner you get him on meds the better. Other wise he is done for.

Get us info and we will try and help. Good Luck

Frank
 
Frank Castle said:
#1 Get rid of the water fall.

#2 Get them out of the glass enclosures as soon as possible and keep them seperate, both enclosures should be screened (No Glass). 2 chams= 2 enclosures that they cant see each other from.
The male may be stressed from being dominated by the female. He could also be dehydrated. You didnt mention what type of Chams they are, types of light you are using, what the cage temps are, What humidity is, and what if any suplimentation you are using.
#3 Take the male to a vet and get him checked out if you want to save him. ASAP. If in fact it is a bacterial/infection the sooner you get him on meds the better. Other wise he is done for.

Get us info and we will try and help. Good Luck

Frank

finally no need to speak, i mhave someone to do it for me.
 

clandrauiv

New Member
They are veiled chams. I already got rid of the fountain, I use a 60 watt heat lamp for basking, a floresent light, and was using a night heating lamp but stopped that. Temps: 80-90 general temp, 90-100 in basking area, and 75 at night. Humidity I dont know. I'm going to pick up a guage today. I use calcium dusting on the crickets, each feeding.

Since the change of enviroment I do see improvement in the male. I think the misting is helping with hydration but he's still tentative to eat.

I also was wondering if I should designate a seperate enclosure for feeding?
 
clandrauiv said:
Humidity I dont know. I'm going to pick up a guage today.

I also was wondering if I should designate a seperate enclosure for feeding?

1. Buy a digital hygrometer, not an analogue dial.

2. No feeding in the cage IS reccomended. Prevents stress, and learns to hunt in cage environment, etc.
 

Frank Castle

New Member
clandrauiv said:
They are veiled chams. I already got rid of the fountain, I use a 60 watt heat lamp for basking, a floresent light, and was using a night heating lamp but stopped that. Temps: 80-90 general temp, 90-100 in basking area, and 75 at night. Humidity I dont know. I'm going to pick up a guage today. I use calcium dusting on the crickets, each feeding.

Since the change of enviroment I do see improvement in the male. I think the misting is helping with hydration but he's still tentative to eat.

I also was wondering if I should designate a seperate enclosure for feeding?


If you still have the male and female together, this may be why he isnt eating. You should seperate them. Another thing is some chams dont eat in front of the keeper. They are more concerned about you watching/distracting them then eating.
 
Top Bottom