Sick baby.. not looking too well.

Acacia

I purchased a young Mt. Lefo's Chameleon about four or five months ago and things were going great. I recently returned from a snowboarding trip during which my mother was supposed to be watching him. He's currently not looking too well, he's sleeping in the evening and I'm beginning to think that he might be dehydrated but I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. (We have a local reptile vet here but I doubt I can get him in for a few days.) I've been spraying him and he drinks some but he's refusing to eat. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also his right eye is closing a lot the past two days, he opens it sometimes, but he seems to be favoring keeping it shut. I am very worried and would love some advice right about now.

Thank you.
Acacia

Acacia, I have no personal experience with this species, but since the name you use is not too common only used, I thought I would post for other readers that the chameleons in question is also called Chamaeleo (Trioceros) wiedersheimi in Latin, or the given English name; Peacock Chameleon. Mike Monge (http://flchams.com) in Florida has some stunning specimens of this species and he may be able to help you with temperature details and the like, that has worked for him.

It is a good sign that he is drinking. If at all available you should seek council from an Exotic Animal Veterinarian, with good experience in chameleons. Until more details are given, not much solid advice will come to you.

If your chameleon is having problems and you want input from other chameleon owners, be sure to include as much information as possible:

1. Cage type: What size and type of cage (screen, glass, etc.)?

2. Temperatures: What is the basking temperature? How do you measure the temperature in your setup? What is the temperature in the warmest spot? The coolest spot? At night? During the day? You should measure the temperature of the chameleons' skin or the surface of its current branch to get a more accurate reading. Do you leave any heat on at night? What is the temperature in the room at night?

3. Lighting: What brand is your UVB light? How long have you been using it? How long are your lights on each day? Do you leave any lights on at night? Where are the lights? on top?

4. Humidity: Do you have a humidity gauge? What is the range of relative humidity (RH) from lowest to highest? How long does it take to go from high to low? Do you use a humidifier? Do you live in the north or south (or other)?

5. Water: Have you observed your chameleon drinking? How often do you mist? Do you have a dripper?

6. Food: Have you observed your chameleon eating? What is the chameleon's diet? Where do you get your live feeder prey? What are you feeding the feeders? Fresh veggies? Gut load? If you use a commercial gut load what is the brand? If you make your own what are the ingredients?

7. Supplements: What type of supplement(s) do you use? Brand name(s)? How often do you use supplements?

8. Plants & branches: What plants do you have? Are your plants alive or fake? Do the plants provide lots of coverage where the chameleon will feel safe? Can you see your chameleon most of the time or can it hide from your view?

9. Chameleon facts: How old is the chameleon? Do you know if it is wild caught or captive born? Did you get the chameleon at a show? Breeder?

10. Handling: Do you handle your chameleon? How often and how long? What is its reaction to you? Is the cage in a quiet part of the house or is it in a busy or noisy area? Any big stereo speakers near the cage? Is your chameleon alone in the cage? Can your chameleon see any other herps or pets from the cage?

11. Veterinarians: Do you have a veterinarian who KNOWS chameleons?

I think he's dying.

In regards to the baby Peacock (Mt. Lefo's Chameleon) I mentioned yesterday, my mom suggested trying to force feed him because he was looking skinny and hadn't been eating for quite a while. I tried and he seemed really stressed and was falling asleep in my hand while I tried to get him to eat some mashed crickets and water with one of those syringes they use to give cats oral medication. I stopped and put him in his cage but he looked like he was about ready to fall off the branches so I set him in some broken off branches and leaves at the foot of his cage and he stopped moving and began to turn a funny dark color. I've seen him look stressed before but now his blue spots are turning white and he's getting extremely dark. He's not moving, not even trying to grip the branches that I set him on. I think he's most likely dying, I turned his cage light off and closed my door so no one can go in in hopes that he can destress a bit and maybe start walking around. I really doubt it's going to happen and I know that he's probably dying but does anyone have any suggestions. I at least want to make him more comfortable. Should I just leave him alone or should I mist him or leave his light on or what? I feel horrible and just anything that anyone thinks would help at all would be so appreciated. He looks so horrible. I've never even seen him these colors before.

give us info on your setup, everything you can with details, light, food, dusting, cham age. Then we can talk
Thanks

this just happened to my baby veiled. she didn't make it because we waited to long to go to the vet. get her fluids, ask them to inject calcium, and maybe she needs to be heated more. i hope your baby gets better

Back
Top Bottom