SHUT EYES - HELP

Ciccone19

I have a baby chameleon estimated 4-5 months old, in the last 24 hours he has rarely opened his eyes - but will once in a while - but he is somewhat active, what is happening??
I read that he may be dehydrated but I'm not sure if this is correct or how to rehydrate him.
I also left his light on for about 15 hours instead of 12 hours yesterday and didn't mist him as much as I usually do - I'm not sure if this has any affect but thought I would include.
he's in a 36in x 18in all screen cage. Basking spot is between 79-85 degrees F. I have a dripper and I mist the cage 5-6 times a day, no substrate at the bottom of the cage and no bowl of water. I feed him crickets, and in the bottom of his cage I have a calcium block that the crickets eat.

IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG
Need to know exact types of light bulbs and see pics
Here is a pics of the bulbs, the cage set up and him

I mist it about 5-6 times a day, maybe once every 2-3 hours. The other day I wasn't home for about 12 hours and my dripper had malfunctioned so we wasn't misted at all for 12 hours

Your best bet would be to take him to a vet, quickly.
Not eating, sunken eyes, could be a mix of different things.
Try and get him an appointment , and keep us updated (y)

Your best bet would be to take him to a vet, quickly.
Not eating, sunken eyes, could be a mix of different things.
Try and get him an appointment , and keep us updated (y)
Thank you, I will!! I can't get to the vet until Friday do you think that would be okay or too late?

@Ciccone19 in your other thread you said..."It's been about 24 hours now, he seems to be able to open his left eye but chooses not to when walking around his cage which is making me nervous because he is just guessing on what to grab onto and sometimes will fall either to another branch or the ground. He is also becoming less active as he just sits in the same spot"...I think that the best option is for you to take the chameleon tomthe vet ASAP. I don't think he's well at all.

You said..."I read that he may be dehydrated but I'm not sure if this is correct or how to rehydrate him"...you also mentioned showering him in your other thread....you can try to rehydrate him with the dripper and misting for a longer session either in the cage or a shower. I think you said you have no plant to put him on in the shower....I don't know what you could use instead since I don't know what you have in your house.
You said...I also left his light on for about 15 hours instead of 12 hours yesterday and didn't mist him as much as I usually do - I'm not sure if this has any affect but thought I would include"...that wouldn't be a problem as long as he got water when you got home.
You said..." I have a dripper and I mist the cage 5-6 times a day, no substrate at the bottom of the cage and no bowl of water" ...how long for each misting?

You said.,."I feed him crickets, and in the bottom of his cage I have a calcium block that the crickets eat"...do you dust the crickets just before feeding them to the chameleon with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at almost every feeding? Dust twice a month with a phosphorous-free calcium/D3 powder? Dust twice a month with a vitamin powder? Feed/gutload the crickets, superworms, roaches, etc with greens, veggies, and a bit of fruit?

He looks very dehydrated. Also the best bulbs to go with are Arcadia 22" T5 HO 6% (if not a lot of shade in enclosure) or 12% (if there is shade), and the 100W Repti Daylight Neodymium Basking Bulb. You can buy them at Light Your Reptiles. It would also be good to add more to his cage.

Are it's eyes shut when it's not in the cage? Sometimes the UVB lights bother their eyes...have you tried leaving it off for a day or two to see if it helps?

Back
Top Bottom