Shower Time

BlueSky

I've seen a few people on here mention "showering" their chams, either during or outside of their regular misting. Is it necessary to give them a "shower" every once in awhile?
I'm asking because I mist my guy regularly 2-3x/day, but he really doesn't enjoy the water--he's always trying to get out of the way! He drinks just fine, and he's well hydrated, but does he need to be rinsed off, too? Should I focus the mist on him a little more?

Mainly that is just a really good misting session. People do it to help clean out their eyes or if they are dehydrated. Letting the sower spray bounce off the walls into the plant. It's too much water to do a 30 minute session of mist in the cage so its easier in the shower. If he's hydrated and you have a good misting routine it's not really necessary unless you want to.

If he's running away from the spray, I'm assuming here that you are hand misting, then its probably because the spray is bigger drops and might be scaring him. A misting system has a very fine spray and doesn't necessarily scare them as much. I love my auto magic mister! I have a couple of sessions for 5 minutes and my guy will stand right in it.

I would mist him for longer periods of time he's well hydrated and you just are worried about him shedding well or rinsing his eyes out. Showers aren't technically necessary but they are an easy way to get the water loving montanes and other chameleon species to get a good drink and rinse of the eyes. It's usually an emergency measure if you are worried about dehydration.

I haven't had my guy in a shower in 4 years. I would only do this if there were an eye issue or if he was dehydrated. As stated, it's like a really intense misting session.

Sweet! Thanks for the responses! I feel like I don't have to worry anymore. :)
Yes, I am hand-misting him! I'd love to get an automatic mister, but they're so damn expensive...it's funny actually, because there are days where he'll just stand there and take it, and others where he can't get out of the way fast enough! He's been shedding just fine and there don't seem to be any problems, so I'll just carry on! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom