Shower Time = Suicide

wsidepinoy

So I found out my cham is a bit dehydrated, so i thought why not shower her ?

BAD IDEA...

she was leaning on the edge of a branch reaching out for something repeatedly, she was completely scared didnt know wtf was happening, and i pulled her away and she was fumbling in my hands. I couldnt even let her chill in my hands she was wanting to walk right off of my hands onto NOTHING, after nearly dropping 5 feet to the tiled floor twice i kept her firm in my hand and walked her over to the cage and let her hop back into her cage...

...wth just happened ?!

is my cham the ONLY one that doesnt like showers ? (first time i tried it)

Mine hate it too. Except for my mellers. The trick is to minimize how much water is hitting them. Try to bounce it off walls.

Maybe you should try misting directly first. My cham's hated it at first, but now they love water sprayed onto them. Then you could try the shower. Work your way up sort of speak.

i had the shower pointed directly @ the back left wall and it was just beads hitting the plant...regardless it freaked her out to the point of sheer survival by latching on to anything and everything she could...

i mist her every day twice a day for a good 5-10 minutes, (after misting the cage) and i mist her mouth too kind of try to coax her to drink....

i also have a dripper thats on from about 11am to about 3pm and i then fill it up again and let it drip till its dry...

i just dont know what it is with the shower ?

We use a house plant and put it in the shower. A money tree with two stems so zephyr can hang onto both if he wants to move around. We find that he feels more stable than being on our hands (We even use a fake vine to get him in and out of his cage). When we bring him in, we make the room already misty and have the shower bounce off the walls. If we walk in slow he gets used to it fast, we think that the acoustics also add to it being a bit scary at first. Now he gets so excited, instantly turns yellow, and if we leave the room (watching him in the mirror) he will poop right away. Hope that this helps! Sometimes it just takes patience and practice and they will calm down :p

Trish

she had a tinge of orange urate in her stool this morning; her eyes aren't sunken in though (preemptive ? better safe then sorry ?!)....

she also hasnt been eating as much as she used to...though im not too sure if she is gravid or ready to lay eggs...

she has been restless these past couple days, coloration has been different from when i got her but not the gravid black/dark green with blue and yellow...

i thought maybe a shower would do the trick ?

Well I had a Cham like that. She never got use to it. I wouldn't give her any future showers unless you absolutely have too. If she has some Orange in the urate just give her a couple extra mistings.

My Female Veiled Chameleon hated getting wet, for like the first 2 weeks I had her. Now when my Mist King kicks on she runs right into the mist. I am hoping my new Ambilobe Panther likes it too (she is still in quarantine for a few more days :)).

I think this reaction, which I call The Wicked Witch of the West ("I'm Melting!"), is pretty common.

If you've just now noticed a tinge of orange, maybe you can get her to drink more by upping in cage mistings. Maybe even just manually drip water onto her head from above (drip, not pour!). If you think she's possibly gravid, it's probably not a good idea to put her through the simulated death throes that a shower causes.

This is how I do showers and it has turned around all my guys that didn't like it:

(perhaps not the best photo, since the chameleon being portrayed is one that just went through surgery, so she was inherently unhappy and dark.)
chameleonshower1.jpg

I just use a peticide pump filled with HOT water (Set to a fine misting setting the water reaches them luke warm-warmish) and aim it at their plant. I've liked this a lot because for one, it uses only 5 gallons for a good 20 minute shower, and two, it is much more gentle than the water that comes out of most showers. Between the gentler mist and the warm water even the 3 who used to hate showers now deeply enjoy them. When they see the set up in the bathroom they settle into the plant and sit facing the nozzle, waiting for the water, and will sit still in the warm mist the entire time it's running.

i started with a few plants in the shower to let him pic the amount of sprey he wanted. but the first one he stayed on my hand most of the time drinking off my fingers till my arm fell asleep and twitched.
but now he likes being in the direct sprey 80% the time.
half the plant is in the direct sprey the other half isnt.
i tryed "bouncing it off the wall but he kept trying to get "at" the water
IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

showertime.jpg

the rest of the time he will be in the "mist" or backsprey.

my first shower plant setup to see where he seemed to like the most; i also waited for the water to run clear and put rocks over the soil before i put him in
IMG_1031.jpg

hope this helps some.

I love Olimpia's method. It's almost more a sauna than a shower. I may look into setting something like that up.

Thanks :) Since I use the super sophisticated stick-the-nozzle-through-a-dog-shampoo-bottle-handle method, I can aim it nearly vertically up, increase the spray intensity and it will rain down more like a shower. It depends who is getting a shower, they have different preferences. But turning on the actual shower to let water run for 15-20 minutes seemed like a huge waste of water for what little the chameleon really needs.

Thanks :) Since I use the super sophisticated stick-the-nozzle-through-a-dog-shampoo-bottle-handle method, I can aim it nearly vertically up, increase the spray intensity and it will rain down more like a shower. It depends who is getting a shower, they have different preferences. But turning on the actual shower to let water run for 15-20 minutes seemed like a huge waste of water for what little the chameleon really needs.

i also water all the plants at the same time.
i have also had my water tested and as wierd as it sounds i have a water purifyer on every spout in the house including the shower.
he can slo go to the other side of the plant / plants when watering them all.
i also give him steam baths from time to time

Back
Top Bottom