Shower method

Peeps101

Established Member
I just had a quick question for hydration reasons, the only way Silly will drink is if I hold up my hand held mister near him and if he wants water he’ll push his mouth against it and open/close his mouth. This worked well for a while but I’ve been thinking of some other methods. I do mist his enclosure a lot, (with live plants) and I never see him drink water from the leaves, though he might when I’m not around. I tried the shower method today, aimed it at a wall while warm water created a mist on him and his plant but... it scared the living sh*t out of him. I also know horn worms are good but only here and there. Is there a way I could get him used to the shower or another method? Thanks!

I just had a quick question for hydration reasons, the only way Silly will drink is if I hold up my hand held mister near him and if he wants water he’ll push his mouth against it and open/close his mouth. This worked well for a while but I’ve been thinking of some other methods. I do mist his enclosure a lot, (with live plants) and I never see him drink water from the leaves, though he might when I’m not around. I tried the shower method today, aimed it at a wall while warm water created a mist on him and his plant but... it scared the living sh*t out of him. I also know horn worms are good but only here and there. Is there a way I could get him used to the shower or another method? Thanks!
Hello it’s not unusual to not see your chameleon drink . Shower method should only ever be used if they’re severely dehydrated . It’s very stressful for them . Do you have a Dripper ?

Hello it’s not unusual to not see your chameleon drink . Shower method should only ever be used if they’re severely dehydrated . It’s very stressful for them . Do you have a Dripper ?
I do have a dripper, I’d have to cut a hole in the roof of the cage, and his eyes have sunken in just a tiny bit but it’s best to get him perked up asap instead of waiting

I do have a dripper, I’d have to cut a hole in the roof of the cage, and his eyes have sunken in just a tiny bit but it’s best to get him perked up asap instead of waiting
Yes agreed , you can use a plastic bottle with a teeny hole , you want about two drops per four seconds . If you do not want to cut a hole in your screen .

Last edited:

There is more to hydration than drinking. Its fine to get him to drink from the nozzle directly. I like teaching my chams to do this because I get a better idea of how reliably they are drinking if I'm right there watching it. Misting the enclosure helps provide them with a humid environment...which in turn helps them maintain their body moisture through respiration and allows them to keep their eyes clean. If the foliage provides water droplets over a longer period each day, they can seek them out for a drink when I'm not there.

I second... triple... idk what number to use... what everyone said above. I'm going to include this video about watering your chameleon that includes info about humidity, dehydration, and hydrating your chameleon.

Also this video about poop which can be a great tool to tell if your chameleon is hydrated/dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom