Should I use a substrate??

kmc80

I'm having a hard time keeping the humidity up in my Jacksons' cage. I have a big umbrella plant in there and I mist with warm water in the moring and throughout the day when I'm home. I also have The Little Dripper so they have constant acess to water. It's really hard to get the humidity over 60% and all the water gets on the bottom of the cage. They never go all the way to the bottom so would it be safe to use a substrate? :confused:

try wrapping the cage with plastic on three sides to keep the humidity up. more plants? what kind of enclosure do you have? where are you located?

I have the same mesh cage that most people have with the plastic bottom. I'll try wrapping it with plastic. I live in socal, 25 miles north west of LA. It stays pretty dry here but there's always plenty of sun :)

There are times I have a harder time keeping my humidity up...
when I do I cover the bottom of the cage in a triple layer of paper towels.

when you mist the cage the water will be kept in the paper towels, thus keeping the humidity up.

This in combination with wrapping your cage with a plastic material will be extremely effective!

Also, Viva brand paper towels are the best for this! They are super thick!

There are times I have a harder time keeping my humidity up...
when I do I cover the bottom of the cage in a triple layer of paper towels.

when you mist the cage the water will be kept in the paper towels, thus keeping the humidity up.

This in combination with wrapping your cage with a plastic material will be extremely effective!

Also, Viva brand paper towels are the best for this! They are super thick!

just make sure to clean as often as possible. this can cause some nasty stuff to grow in your enclosure. unwanted bacteria.

I've been having issues with my humidity as well. What i found works REAL well for me is putting a wet sponge right near my basking bulb. That way, the heat off the bulb causes a lot of humidity and every time my mister goes on, it gets the sponge wet again, so the heat has more to evaporate off of.

Now, the only reason I am doing this, though, is because my humidity dropped down to 29% at a low and I tried EVERYTHING to keep it up, but the sponge works best. I have been taking it out and cleaning it every other day, too, so it doesn't get all nasty.

I've been having issues with my humidity as well. What i found works REAL well for me is putting a wet sponge right near my basking bulb. That way, the heat off the bulb causes a lot of humidity and every time my mister goes on, it gets the sponge wet again, so the heat has more to evaporate off of.

Now, the only reason I am doing this, though, is because my humidity dropped down to 29% at a low and I tried EVERYTHING to keep it up, but the sponge works best. I have been taking it out and cleaning it every other day, too, so it doesn't get all nasty.

Sounds like a really good idea, I'll put one in today and see what the humidity changes like (I only hand mist mine...). My boy is finishing shedding his tail today.....

Back
Top Bottom