Should I switch to 10.0 with larger enclosure?

bimac6

Avid Member
We just got Nard a 24/24/48 cage, and I have a Reptisun 5.0 linear UVB bulb. 95% of the foliage is real in his enclosure. What do you suggest for UVB/lighting to keep him and his plants happy? Also how is everything set up? Also got a MistKing, just haven’t installed it yet. Thanks!
EDB7ADA0-1F11-4727-BCED-58D8FA73B617.jpeg

If you had a heavily planted viv then you could justify a 10.0 but based on your pic you definitely don’t fall into that catagory.
Gotcha, I went up from just one plant to three total, and the bottom of his cage (about 2-4’ under the UVB light)is pretty dense. That’s why I was concerned about UVB. I’ll stay at 5.0, should I get anything additional to help the plants thrive?

@bimac6
My 2¢
a few weeks ago I upgraded to a dual bulb fixture with Arcadia 12% uvb and a 6500k for plants I made this decision because the effective range of uvb is around 12 inches so I figure not wouldn't hit the bottom half either way. I have a 2*2*4 as well and it's loaded with plants and I plan on adding more. I've got about twice as much foliage and shade created by live plants and am now on the fence if 12 was too much. I did get a full shed and the plants are certainly happy but I noticed when my Cham goes dark he has a grey discoloration on some of his spines as well as head it doesn't appear unless he goes dark the only thing that had changed was the uvb. My heat source is elevated off the screen top and I doubt it was a thermal burn as basking area is never above 84. My Cham does get the option for daily natural sunlight in the mornings from an east facing window that I can open and close based on room temps.

since it was a big increase in uvb I decided to swap back to my 5.0 bulb and see if it makes any difference I haven't drawn a definitive conclusion but I like to play things safe.

The ability to self regulate is restricted by putting them in cages so it's important we give humidity pockets as well as thermal uvb and exposure gradients. The 10.0 or 12 makes that a little harder or at least it seems like it did for me .. unless you really have a jungle going on in your enclosure you should be fine with the 5.0

Gotcha, I went up from just one plant to three total, and the bottom of his cage (about 2-4’ under the UVB light)is pretty dense. That’s why I was concerned about UVB. I’ll stay at 5.0, should I get anything additional to help the plants thrive?
Led spotlight such as jungle Dawn or get a dual or quad bulb fixture two 6500 k one uvb and one plant grow bulb you'll be rocking fresh sprouts and new growth I went dual and regret not going quad

Last edited:
I’ve been playing with my solarmeter and it’s EXTREMELY hard to tell what will be the right amount of UVB. Some times you think “that should be good” and it’s horrible when you check it with the meter and other times “it’s perfect” by looks and tests bad with the meter. It was hard for me to spend the money on a solar meter at first but now that I have and have been able to play around with compact, linear, screen or no screeen setups it WAY worth the money because you just really don’t know.

I’ve been playing with my solarmeter and it’s EXTREMELY hard to tell what will be the right amount of UVB. Some times you think “that should be good” and it’s horrible when you check it with the meter and other times “it’s perfect” by looks and tests bad with the meter. It was hard for me to spend the money on a solar meter at first but now that I have and have been able to play around with compact, linear, screen or no screeen setups it WAY worth the money because you just really don’t know.

Do solarmeters also provide general luminosity measurements (footcandles, PAR and whatnot)? Or just info on uv?

Back
Top Bottom