Should I just say to heck with it all and get a Veiled?

chameeeleon

So after like a year with being obsessed with chams and convincing a certain family member to let me get one, I finally decided on a nosy be panther chameleon. Long story short: I am now reconsidering and thinking of getting a veiled chameleon and saying to heck with my plans for a panther. So I have some questions (and I apologize because I am sure these sorts of questions have been asked many times before):

1. Does a veiled chameleon eat considerably more than a panther? I know they are a little bigger than panthers, so does that mean they need more food?
2. I once held an adult panther cham and wow what a grip! Since veileds are bigger would you say they have an even stronger grip? I'd rather not have to wear oven mitts if/when I handle my cham.
3. Sass level. Most cham owners say that their veiled chams have more of an attitude than their panthers. I could probably handle it, except my cat already has enough sass for the whole neighborhood. So I don't need a surplus of sass in this household. I guess what I'm asking is, with patience, is it possible to have a sassy veiled chameleon become as friendly as a panther? (I get that it mostly depends the personality of the cham, but if I get a sassy one I'd just like to have hope that it won't hate me one day [unlike my cat who will forever be disgusted with the human race])

I already know the slight differences in care, and since it was 107F (outside) here yesterday, a veiled would probably fit in a little better if the AC broke.

Or should I say to heck with veileds and panthers and get a flap neck? :p

Thanks in advance for the advice :D

PS don't worry I made sure my cat won't be be able to get near my cham and even if he did all he would do is look at the cham with a smug look and say "peasant"

:)

I have had both and, in my humble opinion, panthers (males especially) make better pets. Gentler disposition, care level about the same.

I find my veileds to have way more personality that my panthers. They have all been extremely friendly and love to be out of a cage and doing things with you. However I do believe if you put them in a cage and do not interact with them on a regular basis they can and often do become cage aggressive. My guys have never put a mark on me. They are extremely gentle when I hold them.

As far as their care it is very similar to that of a panther and they eat about the same as adults maybe a little more when babies but I don't think my guys would make it in 107 degrees weather. They have their mouths open here in FL when we get up to 90.

Last edited:
All my chameleons are disgusted with me - when I want a nice friendly reptile I watch TV with one of my daughters Bearded Dragon- but I would go for what you really like - or you'll just end up with 2 or 3 different species- which does add complications- and large feeder bills. If you like veiled that's great- but if you settle for a veiled then you'll have a panther sooner than you think, they are a gateway cham- you'll end up with 6 or 7 or end up branching into snakes and such.

I have a veiled and a panther. It is like having two kids- love them both but they are different.... My panther boy is a total sweetie but is needy. He likes water from a syringe and is a picky eater. My veiled boy is easier- eats anything and drinks from the mister. I has always heard that veileds were mean- I have never had a problem. I was patient with him in the beginning and now when I open the cage he begs to come out. Both of my boys came from small breeders though. To me that is the most important thing. Usually the cham is friendlier.

If cost is not a factor, I would go with whichever one you like the look of best. They are very similar in many ways and personality is way more dependent on the individual cham and environment than the species. Just make sure whatever you get you go with a good breeder since it will save you a lot of trouble. It also will give you a much better idea of what he will look like as an adult if you know the family history. If you are planning on breeding at some point a panther would probably be easier because they lay fewer eggs and are usually in higher demand. But if you don't have previous experience I would definitely wait a year or two before trying this :)

Panthers do seem a little bit more docile and they do have some differences in behavior. Veileds will often eat leaves or vegetables where panthers usually won't. Panthers seem to like to lick branches whereas I've never seen my veiled do that.

I have a male veiled and a male and female panther, and the veiled is generally much more fearful and likes to hide whereas the panthers mostly ignore people unless they are being handled which they currently hate. All of them are improving in getting used to people but it is a long process.

As for your specific questions, veileds eat pretty much the same, although they will sometimes eat plants whereas panthers usually won't. My chameleons are not adults yet, but their grip seems pretty similar at the moment. I would have to say that even being bitten by a cham is much less painful than a cat scratch.

I used to have veileds that would eat their plants down to the vine if I didn't give them greens to eat, and they would try to kill me at every chance. They were not pets but breeders back in the day when veileds were new to the USA. Most were WC though, so that probably had something to do with their temperament.

My panthers on the other had were some of the best pets I've had. I'd probably still breed them if it wouldn't drive my power bill through the roof. I've switched to all montane so I don't have to run high watt basking bulbs anymore.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

So after like a year with being obsessed with chams and convincing a certain family member to let me get one, I finally decided on a nosy be panther chameleon. Long story short: I am now reconsidering and thinking of getting a veiled chameleon and saying to heck with my plans for a panther. So I have some questions (and I apologize because I am sure these sorts of questions have been asked many times before):

1. Does a veiled chameleon eat considerably more than a panther? I know they are a little bigger than panthers, so does that mean they need more food?
2. I once held an adult panther cham and wow what a grip! Since veileds are bigger would you say they have an even stronger grip? I'd rather not have to wear oven mitts if/when I handle my cham.
3. Sass level. Most cham owners say that their veiled chams have more of an attitude than their panthers. I could probably handle it, except my cat already has enough sass for the whole neighborhood. So I don't need a surplus of sass in this household. I guess what I'm asking is, with patience, is it possible to have a sassy veiled chameleon become as friendly as a panther? (I get that it mostly depends the personality of the cham, but if I get a sassy one I'd just like to have hope that it won't hate me one day [unlike my cat who will forever be disgusted with the human race])

I already know the slight differences in care, and since it was 107F (outside) here yesterday, a veiled would probably fit in a little better if the AC broke.

Or should I say to heck with veileds and panthers and get a flap neck? :p

Thanks in advance for the advice :D

PS don't worry I made sure my cat won't be be able to get near my cham and even if he did all he would do is look at the cham with a smug look and say "peasant"

:)

Be sure you WANT the species you buy. If you think of a veiled as anything other than what you want to spend your time, your energy, space, and $$ supporting, the cham may suffer in the long run. You may find yourself taking short cuts in your care or the amount of energy you spend solving problems that come up, because you really wanted something else instead. At bottom, no one is forcing you to settle for any species so it may be better for all involved to wait until everything lines up for the cham you are most intrigued with. As for the personality you want...it isn't all that predictable as its individual. No one can guarantee the outcome of all that. A better attitude is probably "if I end up with THIS type of cham I'll treat it this way...if I end up with THIS type of character, I'll respond this way." So, be content and prepared for what you may end up with and accept the challenge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom