Should I handle my Veiled chameleon at all?

TroyButler

I am a new baby veiled chameleon owner and have a few questions about handling. I have had him for about 3 weeks, and haven’t handled him once. I’ve tried about 3 time by just sticking my hand near him to see how he reacts and he never puffs up, but he does seem very timid and runs away. So I have refrained from doing that so I’m not stressing him out. So my question is, should I try and get him used to my hand so I can handle him in the future, to just hang out or to do enclosure maintenance and cleaning, or am I better off just letting him be.

I am a new baby veiled chameleon owner and have a few questions about handling. I have had him for about 3 weeks, and haven’t handled him once. I’ve tried about 3 time by just sticking my hand near him to see how he reacts and he never puffs up, but he does seem very timid and runs away. So I have refrained from doing that so I’m not stressing him out. So my question is, should I try and get him used to my hand so I can handle him in the future, to just hang out or to do enclosure maintenance and cleaning, or am I better off just letting him be.
I hand feed mine. Also when i first got him i would bait him. I would put my hand in the enclosure under him and would hold the cricket on my arm. As he got closer i would move the cricket further up my arm. Now when i open his door he will just come right to my hand and climb on. Not sure if it works for all but when i bought skippy he was very aggresive with everyone and would hiss and puff up at everyone in the pet store. Sometimes during the evening when i handle him he will actually sleep on my chest or stomach
20200412_213704.jpg

I hand feed mine. Also when i first got him i would bait him. I would put my hand in the enclosure under him and would hold the cricket on my arm. As he got closer i would move the cricket further up my arm. Now when i open his door he will just come right to my hand and climb on. Not sure if it works for all but when i bought skippy he was very aggresive with everyone and would hiss and puff up at everyone in the pet store. Sometimes during the evening when i handle him he will actually sleep on my chest or stomach View attachment 265225
Yeah this is a stress reaction... Sleeping on you is not good.

No. He sleeps as soon as the lights go out. I just took him to the vet a couple of weeks ago because i had started him on superworms and they didnt seem to set well with him. Reputable herp who owns chams and he was given a clean bill of health

Back
Top Bottom