Should I euthanize?

Alphie

Hello everyone... I am unfortunately at a moment where my chameleon has mouth rot... But is also 8 years old and the infection is in his jaw bones. I was wondering if I should euthanize him? Or see if he'll live a little longer? He finished his antibiotics a couple weeks ago and with force feedings and Pedialyte soaks he's back to his old self. But I feel selfish, is it his time?

The infection can not be cleared. The vet said the surgery to remove the rot would mean taking out his jaw and leaving lesions that could also get reinfected. He has some pain in his jaw when I feed him. He won't hunt cause nothing that's alive is soft enough to not cause him pain when he chews. He hasn't defecated in week or so, otherwise he still moves around and hangs out with me to watch tv. He enjoys his outdoor time too.

I wish I could tell you what to do, but all I can confirm is that it sounds like it is time to make a choice in the matter. Whatever decision you make, you’ll be making out of love for your animal and I personally support that. It is the most heartbreaking of choices and I wish you peace and strength in whatever your choice is. 💗

He is a veiled chameleon. I'm not sure honestly, I wasn't able to go to the office they picked him up and said they "ran tests" but the bill was a little over $300 for the visit plus antibiotics and force feed mix. 10 day oral syringe of enrofloxacin. And the feed is simply called "carnivore care".

Hello everyone... I am unfortunately at a moment where my chameleon has mouth rot... But is also 8 years old and the infection is in his jaw bones. I was wondering if I should euthanize him? Or see if he'll live a little longer? He finished his antibiotics a couple weeks ago and with force feedings and Pedialyte soaks he's back to his old self. But I feel selfish, is it his time?
This is ultimately your decision, but there is one more question I would ask (and have asked many times) of the veterinarian. "If this were your animal, what would you do?"

This may sound like putting the vet on the spot, but it's also another way of asking their professional opinion on whether it's time.

My 2 cents

Sometimes we have to let go, tbh an infection in the bones sounds painful.
I know you will find the answer if you look deep into your heart.
I've had to make a couple of those hard decisions. Although it sucks, sometimes letting go is the best option for them, not you.

Edit: I'm so sorry I didn't realize the time stamp on this thread. Thought it was more recent. What did you end up deciding?

---

Wishing you strength and clarity as you make your decision. I second asking the vet specifically about euthanizing, quality of life, and what they'd do if it were their pet. They are more familiar with these kinds of decisions as they see so many animals.

Back
Top Bottom