Should I buy this Senegal?

jeanjacket812

So I went to the local mom and pop pet shop today just to browse and they had a juvenile Senegal. This petshop isn't too bad on every other occasion they have used screen cages and drippers. Today though they told me they had got this chameleon in but were out of true screen cages so they were using like a 10 gallon aquarium with screen sizes. Anyways I felt so bad for the poor cham its was very cramped. Anyways it was a Senegal and it looked very healthy and was very active. They didn't know whether it was wild caught or captive bred. They had it priced at $130 is it worth it? It looked at me and kind of made eye contact and its been on my mind ever since.

Well buying from a pet shop will do nothing more than encourage them to restock due to interest . . . that being said, it's a touchy subject. If you want him get him.

So I went to the local mom and pop pet shop today just to browse and they had a juvenile Senegal. This petshop isn't too bad on every other occasion they have used screen cages and drippers. Today though they told me they had got this chameleon in but were out of true screen cages so they were using like a 10 gallon aquarium with screen sizes. Anyways I felt so bad for the poor cham its was very cramped. Anyways it was a Senegal and it looked very healthy and was very active. They didn't know whether it was wild caught or captive bred. They had it priced at $130 is it worth it? It looked at me and kind of made eye contact and its been on my mind ever since.

It is highly likely that the senegal is a wild caught. The price is very high. I have seen them anywhere from $40 to $60.
For the price, you could get a pretty nice looking panther.

I've never seen a chameleon in a pet shop for that price at all, closer to the 130$ they had the Senegal priced at. I got mine for 90$ and that was after he took 10 off of it lol.

Yah I figured it was wild caught. This shop isn't bad but not the best they get Brevs in from time to time and I have seen fishers and monster Oustaletts. I didn't know the usual price for Senegals that was my main concern. They usually sell veileds for 100 which isnt bad considering I would pay at least 75 to get one shipped to my door here. But if they regularly go for around 40ish then its a deffinite no go.

Lance - that's the pre shipping cost. Hah! Tack on shipping and heat packs and such and you're just about even. It's still a good local buy if "buying" is the ultimate choice here. But personally I don't buy reptiles from pet stores only from responsible breeders.

It is highly likely that the senegal is a wild caught. The price is very high. I have seen them anywhere from $40 to $60.
For the price, you could get a pretty nice looking panther.

You can get sengals for $40-$60 dollars at any local reptile show and it's is very highly likely wild caught like lance said. I don't think I've seen a CB in awhile. I don't know very much about them but I hand feed the ones at the michigan reptile show sometimes. The guy who sells them there deals one with wild caught animals and they are usually in horrible shape. The healthier looking ones still look hungry so I splurge and go get a few bigger hornworms and feed the ones that will take the food, if they wont take it I stick it in their enclosures. The guys didn't seem to mind the first time I did it without asking, the second time I asked and he said "yeah that's fine, you're saving me money." I doubt I was saving him money seeing as it looked as though he hadn't fed any of them is well over a month. They are so cute though. Unlike other on here I am not totally agaisnt getting a herp at a pet shop. although it is encouraging them to restock the said animal. After I buy anything from a petshop I tell them the only reason I did it was to save the animals life and then tell them how to properly care for them if they ever get them i the future. I know most of the time it hurts more than it helps but if even one person changes their setup I feel better. I just have a soft spot for anything that looks like I can save it in a pet shop. Thats how I ended up with a blue tongue skink and many many other "random's" as I like to call them. A vet is a must when buying from a pet shop though as always.

Justin

Lance - that's the pre shipping cost. Hah! Tack on shipping and heat packs and such and you're just about even. It's still a good local buy if "buying" is the ultimate choice here. But personally I don't buy reptiles from pet stores only from responsible breeders.

Yes, that is true about the pre shipping price. But if you can get one for about $50 then another $50 for shipping(less if the source is close to you), then it is still cheaper.
I just did some searching on prices on the net and a couple places had them for $25. They are currently sold out on them.
I just think the cham is terribly overpriced.

Senegals should be about thirty dollars.
You don't see them very often because no one wants to deal with them, seeing no profitable advantage ... your pet store has a different idea:rolleyes:
I will promise you the animal is wild caught, riddled with parasites and under watered.
This doesn't mean you cannot take on the challenge, but acclimating an animal like this is hard and a bit expensive (at least 2 vet visits)
Senegals can take somewhat lower levels of humidity as long as they have lots of opportunities to drink, and they are BIG drinkers.
They like super densely planted enclosures where they can hide and feel safe and they love to bask.
See if the owner of the store won't work with you on the price.

-Brad

had a cb senegal and i still agree with bryan....alot of work...they are big drinkers and imo females are prettyest as far as i know. i paid 60 for mine and still have the recept showing cb and somesort of breeder code with her

had a cb senegal and i still agree with bryan....alot of work...they are big drinkers and imo females are prettyest as far as i know. i paid 60 for mine and still have the recept showing cb and somesort of breeder code with her

Bryan who?;)

-Brad

You have to understand that mom and pop shops need to sell them a little higher to compete against major chains; i.e, petco, petsmart... And those other prices that other forum members quoted are off online and distributors, local breeders and warehouse facilities. Those prices are just too competitive for shops like the one you're describing to keep in business if everybody just bought online. If you really like the mom and pop shop and you like the cham, I would buy it. Think of the extra money going into a dying vision of small shops owned by people and not corporations.
A mom and pop shop that I used to frequent for the past 15 years just recently shutdown their aquarium section which was a mainstay of their store. Now they just sell supplies, apparently it's becoming harder to keep up with the prices that you see in the "open market" of the web. It's sad, but it is an inevitable sign of the times.
My prediction: 15 years from now there will be no bookstores left. Everything will be consumed on a kindle/nook/ipad type device.

Back
Top Bottom