Should I be worried?

gar732

Ok I just got this guy in on Wednesday. He is a replacement for another nosy be I received that looked like he might have had a gular edema or something else wrong with him. I noticed there was blood on a branch yesterday and something hanging out of the base of his tail. He is passing his stool, has gone three times since I've had him, and eating and drinking as he should but he is dark all the time. Here are a few pics so you can see what I mean. It's tough to get good pics because he is super skittish and runs as soon as I go near the cage. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

I think his bulge looks extremely swollen looking and abnormal I am sorry to say. The males have a bulge, but nothing like that. Also there looks to be a little something red sticking out of his vent just slightly? It could be part of his hemipene but I am not sure. I do not like the look of that at all.

I think his bulge looks extremely swollen looking and abnormal I am sorry to say. The males have a bulge, but nothing like that. Also there looks to be a little something red sticking out of his vent just slightly? It could be part of his hemipene but I am not sure. I do not like the look of that at all.

I though the same thing but wasn't sure if I was just being overly worried. I'm guessing that the blood I found on the branch was from whatever is protruding from his vent since he looks intact everywhere else. I don't know if his dark color is from just having been shipped or from whatever might be going on with him.

Have you contacted the seller in regards to this issue?

He kind of seems to be shrugging it off like we are making it up or something. He said to give it some time.

I though the same thing but wasn't sure if I was just being overly worried. I'm guessing that the blood I found on the branch was from whatever is protruding from his vent since he looks intact everywhere else. I don't know if his dark color is from just having been shipped or from whatever might be going on with him.

He kind of seems to be shrugging it off like we are making it up or something. He said to give it some time.

Well that's not really exceptable, unless he's willing to pay your vet bills to fix the issue

Well the breeder has done what he can at this point and I think everything is good at that end. This guy went to the vet yesteray and started the prescribed treatment of an anti-inflammatory and ointment for his hemipenes that are partially sticking out of his vent. This morning he was able to bring them back in like he's supposed to but now its partially out and bleeding again. Just when I thought we were getting ahead, I though that was too easy. I have to bring a stool sample in to rule out parasites and possibly start an antibiotic and deworming med. I hoping all goes well moving forward.

Well I guess the situation has improved since he is no longer bleeding and has healed over. Everything was tucked in as it should be but he still seems swollen. Now he is protruding again. The vet said parasites might have caused him to strain but I had his fecals checked and everything was good on that front. He is active in his enclosure but is dark most of the time, he is eating and drinking but mostly wants to container feed since I put him the the adult cage. I'll be calling the vet on Monday to see if they want to see him again or if they want to try something different. In the meantime does anyone have any suggestions?

screen

I see you went with two screens. I saw an article in Reptiles magazine around june (cham on cover) that talked about protecting their toenails using the larger plastic screen on the inside. i agree that your your nosy's tail base is a little thicker than it should be. I had bad luck with the male nosy be i ordered also. All has worked it itself out to my approval. Maybe your luck will improve also.

Thanks, glad yours worked out, hopefully mine will follow suit. I'm worried he might have some sort of infection that is causing the swelling. I'm guessing an antibiotic would be the next step but I'll have to wait and see what the vet says. I was hoping there would be more suggestions.

Well he's on an antibiotic now and if it doesn't improve by next week he's off to the vet again. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this since my vet seems knowledgeable enough but I just don't think she has the experience with chams that others on here do. Please let me know.

Hi there. I don't think people are ignoring the thread, I don't think they have the answers. Yes, it still looks abnormal so there has to be something still going on.. I would pm either Ferritinmyshoes or Dr. O. They are both vets on here and keepers as well with plenty of knowledge on chameleons. That would be your best vet. Taking him to a vet is great, but if they don't have the experience and knowledge it can sometimes cause more harm than good. Good luck and keep us posted!

Today is day three on the antibiotic. So far there are no improvements and he has irritated it again to point of bleeding again, but only a little. I'm finding it difficult to keep up with the ointment since he just rubs it off on the branches.

Is he passing sperm plugs with his feces every time? Sometimes males will get an impaction of sperm plugs in the hemipene pockets, which can then lead to infection. As you can imagine, having an impaction of material in a sensitive area doesn't feel good and can cause partial prolapse and they rub that area because it doesn't feel right. Anti-inflammatories are a good idea, and antibiotics may be needed to. But sometimes the hemipene pockets need to be flushed out really well to remove the built up debris. That would be my next step based on the pictures, but of course it's hard to say exactly what's going on without seeing it in person.

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. I see the sperm plugs on branches sometimes and sometimes with his feces. If his hemipene pockets need to be flushed out is that something that he needs to got the vet for or is it something that can be done at home and if so would you know where I can find more info? The antibiotic is one dose every other day for seven doses so he is only on his second dose. I'm hoping that kicks it and everything straightens out. Thanks again.

Well today is the forth dose out of seven, so far no improvement. It is getting more difficult to give him his meds and apply the ointment. Today he tried running from me and fell, he got right up and kept running and he still seems ok now so I guess that's good. I just can't wait for things to get to normal.

On a side note he still won't feed on crickets that are loose in his encloser. I have to container feed him one or two crickets at a time. He will walk over a cricket while trying to feed out of the cup, I just don't get it? I'm going to try to make a feeding station that holds a cup in the cage and see if he'll feed out of that.

How is your little guy doing? Have you contacted the seller again? I hope all is well, and I'm sorry you both are having a hard time your first couple weeks together. :-(

Back
Top Bottom