Should I be worried? Chameleon fell

komyers

Hi! My panther chameleon fell today when we put something in his enclosure. I think it freaked him out.

it’s a screen enclosure. We’ve had him for no more than 2 weeks. Based on his size he’s probably 3-4 months old. Hes in the 16x16x30 zoo med enclosure. I’m estimating he fell 15 inches, half the height of the cage. Landed on the felt carpet the kits come with. He flipped I think- but landed upright. Since then he’s moved and seems fine. Ate from my tongs. Im just super sensitive to animals and this guy in particular. He seems totally fine but I know he’s probably still scared and I just need some reassurance from an experienced owner and someone who’s seen their chameleon fall as well. How long does it take for chameleons to mentally recover? He still seems freaked out even though he turned light blue and ate a worm.

As long as he isnt showing signs of injury then he should be fine. My baby fell not too long ago, thankfully into my hand but he was freaked out as well.

Hi nightmare my girl fell panther also from top of her enclosure around 3 feet could have cried no damage and has been fine but nerves wrecked when it happened.

Probably just startled him. As long as movements seem normal he should be fine. FYI you do not want to use the carpet that came with the kit. It is a bacteria breeding ground. Just have a bare bottom so you can easily clean it.

As long as he isnt showing signs of injury then he should be fine. My baby fell not too long ago, thankfully into my hand but he was freaked out as well.
Is it really as common as I’ve heard? It’ll take time but maybe I just have to get used to the fact that he will fall a couple times in his life.

Is it really as common as I’ve heard? It’ll take time but maybe I just have to get used to the fact that he will fall a couple times in his life.
They shouldnt fall too often, mine was a baby, only 2 months so he was more likely to fall. As long as your husbandry is good then he will be fine. The reason why this can be concerning is mostly for the reason of mbd

Probably just startled him. As long as movements seem normal he should be fine. FYI you do not want to use the carpet that came with the kit. It is a bacteria breeding ground. Just have a bare bottom so you can easily clean it.
Thank you! I had read that they fall as a defense mechanism so he must have been spooked by something or felt threatened. Which makes me feel better knowing he fell on purpose. Also yes the carpet sucks haha we just upgraded to a bigger cage so it’s much better and less amateur.

Back
Top Bottom