should a first time owner.

I've had a Panther for 4 weeks and it's my first reptile EVER. So yes you'll do fine. I mist him as I got a bum hubba mister it seems and I'm home alot.
I also got the beginner cage and supplies too.
http://www.screameleons.com/setup_kit_video.htm

I would get one from a breeder with a 10day if not a 30day guarantee. I picked Screameleons because it was close by and I must've asked a million questions already and they don't mind.

DONT BUY FROM A PET STORE OR SHOW UNLESS THEY OFFER SUPPORT.

I feed crickets, hornworm and silkworms too.
I feed the crickets oranges and lettuce,apples, zucchini etc.. and dust them once a week with Herptivite and 3x a week with repCal w/ d3.

Here what I go by to feed them.

Gut-loading is simply feeding your crickets fresh fruits and
vegetables. It is NOT buying dry cricket food labeled "gut-load".
The list of appropriate ingredients can include:

- Leafy greens such as collard greens, mustard greens, lettuce (Not
Iceberg Lettuce!)
- Carrots (grated)
- Sweet Potatoes (grated)
- Oranges (sliced)
- Grains
- Spirulina
- Bee pollen
- Dried Kelp
- Melon
- Apple Peelings
- Mango
- Squash

And the list goes on! The trick is to prepare a mixture of 3-4
items from the above list that will last a week. Store the mixture
in a plastic container with a sealable top. Then the following
week, you'll pick out another 2-3 items. By rotating the
ingredients, you'll indirectly vary the chameleon's diet. Our
chameleons rarely go on hunger strikes, and we believe that the
constant change in gut-load may be the reason.

Oranges are an excellent source of water for your crickets. In
addition, they offer vitamin C and reduce the smell of crickets.
When the orange is consumed, all you are left with is a dry peel.
Oranges are better than "gel" water cubes since they do not rot and
are less likely to build bacteria. One or two slices per day will
suffice.

Here he is after 4 weeks of using the kit and some trial and error.

cham04711.jpg

IMG_3273.jpg

cham4711.jpg

cham1.jpg

You shouldn't be able kill him if you follow the advice given here and Screameleons has a chameleons for dummies care sheet, so as long as you can read and Vincent doesnt mind helping AT ALL too.

Oh that enclose is to big depending on the age. To big for a baby to 8mths. 2'x2'x4' hall is the perferred cage size. LLL has one for $80.

I think panthers are a lot cooler than veiled's, if you're confident with how to take care of a chameleon its up to you what you want to be staring at for the next few years, either a veiled with a cool pattern and a big cask, or a panther with brilliant colors, depending on where you get it from that is...

First do your research (which it seems you are), then I'd get my setup before the animal, if your worried about cost, look for good used stuff (a lot of people will sell off there juvi cages, just make sure you clean it Very well)

As for the chameleon it's self you might think about a local breeder, your in socal so it shouldn't be hard to find one.

Of course I would have to recommend Lancecham, I bought my first chameleon from him (male panther) while I was working in orange county
I have been so pleased I'm now buying a jacksons from him, he will be shipping him to me in Utah (where I'm working now) tuesday.

Like I said your biggest cost will likely be in the setup so imo panther, veiled or jacksons should depend on what you like best, just make sure to get a cb (captive born) from a reputable dealer/breeder.

What colors can panthers get? I was wondering if there was an orange with red?

there are:)

my guess for genreality look into the "sambava" or "ambilobe" locales for reds and oranges

you can try tamataves and andapa locales too but might be more difficult to find

the locale is just the area where the panther chameleon origantes from madagascar....each panterh locale has a distinguished look/color or group of colors

i see some site that sell them for almost $200. did anyone ever started off with a female chameleon. i would like to know the experience since it lay eggs on its own.

$325 Screameleon who was showing red at a very young age.

Females are harder cuz if they don't lay they get egg bound and sometimes die. Less colorful too.

Im a first time owner...
Well actually, I still dont have my first chameleon, but I do have some other reptiles as pets... and I know what it takes to be a good reptile owner, and how tricky this gets to be...
I´ve been in this forum for about 4 to 5 months learning all what it takes to be a good chameleon owner.
Right now I have all my set up ready, and my feeder colonies going on.
Im going to get a veiled cham. I know panthers get much more coloration, but I still like veileds most. I think the big casque makes them look really cool... and I love them.... Specially the turquoise ones...
Like many people in here says... beauty its in the eye of the owner. =)
I would suggest to make a big research on enclosures, and when you buy it all and have it all set up... start thinking about what kind of cham you are going to get.
Building good enclosures its expensive. (Well.. at least it was for me) hahaha

but these panthers are like almost $300! lol i will be sad if it died

May be you should wait until you sufficient funds to take care of Chameleon. IMO. These exotic pets are very time consuming and must be cared for properly in order to avoid death, and illness. Also you need to do your research before purchasing any pet. Knowledge is the key to success! Gd luck with whatever decision you decide to make. Also you need to think about how much it is going to cost you for exotic vet bills, feeders (and the proper nutrition they require to keep your Cham healthy), Calcium, Vitamin supplements, Lighting, Well I think you get the picture.

How much did u guys pay for your panther?

None are from pet stores!
I paid $295.00Plus shipping costs
for my baby panther which is considered a morph is 50% Ambilobe, 25% Nose Be, and 25% Ambanja (male) Plus shipping costs

My new addition will be here on Tuesday adult Ambanja panther 1 year old $275.00 (male)

My baby veiled’s are from Flchams Male was $40.00 plus shipping costs. Female was $100.00 plus shipping costs (she comes from an awesome bloodline the male is stunning)

I am in constant contact with the Breeders whom give me 1000% support and are never annoyed no matter how much I call them or email them

Im a first time owner...
Well actually, I still dont have my first chameleon, but I do have some other reptiles as pets... and I know what it takes to be a good reptile owner, and how tricky this gets to be...
I´ve been in this forum for about 4 to 5 months learning all what it takes to be a good chameleon owner.
Right now I have all my set up ready, and my feeder colonies going on.
Im going to get a veiled cham. I know panthers get much more coloration, but I still like veileds most. I think the big casque makes them look really cool... and I love them.... Specially the turquoise ones...
Like many people in here says... beauty its in the eye of the owner. =)
I would suggest to make a big research on enclosures, and when you buy it all and have it all set up... start thinking about what kind of cham you are going to get.
Building good enclosures its expensive. (Well.. at least it was for me) hahaha
Sound like its the best thing to do here. Ima buy the stuff i need before i bring a chameleon home. When do breders start breeding chams?

Anyone knows when a new breed of chameleons are born?

I think it's all just dependant on when they mate (well and temps they incubate the eggs at) best thing to do is check out the classified/ site sponsors and find a breeder or seller that has good looking chameleons. Then contact them, if your wanting a particular local or a baby from a particular sire (babies daddy) you might have to wait, but they may have some that are not yet posted so it's a good ideal to contact them and let them know what your looking for.

I paid $150 for both my panther males from the Chameleon Company. I say go for panthers if you really want one, the care is nearly the same in my opinion. Just research as much as you can about both and then be honest with what budget you have, because a panther definitely will be moe expensive. You'll want to take into account what money you have for a cage, lights, and all the other supplies you'll need.

I purchased mine from chameleonsonly.com. He came in very healthy and they offer a guarantee. They also helped me so much with my questions as well as called me to arrange a good shipping date for him, so I would be home to receive him. They are very nice and have a great selection of panther babies to choose from.

I purchased mine from chameleonsonly.com. He came in very healthy and they offer a guarantee. They also helped me so much with my questions as well as called me to arrange a good shipping date for him, so I would be home to receive him. They are very nice and have a great selection of panther babies to choose from.

How long did it take? I live in los angeles so im guessing ir will take somw time to ship them.

Back
Top Bottom