Shooting randomly

DeviousMike

I have observed that my female is shooting at random things in her cage. Once it was water drops, other times it seems like nothing is there. Does this mean she is hungry? She is 6 months old so I have started to put her on a diet as to slow down egg production. I'm doing 5-6 medium crickets or comparable worm combinations. Should I up her feeding regimen?

she may just be flicking at water droplets falling or on the tips of leaves. i catch my female doing this at rare times, and it always looks like shes shooting at nothing when its water

I have seen this before, not a big deal. My chams will shoot at water droplets or small flies buzzing around the cage. I have a melleri who likes to shoot his tongue out at my GF and I when we are in the room. He has done it for so long we just ignore him. I think he figures that if he does that, we'll feed him...... but we don't lol.

about 8 crickets a day or the equivalent in weight with other feeders. when she gets to about 7 months old, cut back to the same amount but every other day

I think your feeding is ok.... if anything maybe a bit much... I would do that much food every other day. but you should read up a bit more on the forum to see what other people are saying. or check out the 'raising kitty' blog for more details from Brad Ramsey.

My female is ALWAYS hungry!:rolleyes: Just lately when she sees the feeding cup she takes aim before she even sees the food inside. The other day she actaully shot at the corner of the pot and stuck on so I had to let her draw it back in and chew on it before her tongue let go! Her latest trick is to aim at the sparkly bits on my glasses!:eek: I'm sure my dear Amy is a total nutter!:D

I have seen this before, not a big deal. My chams will shoot at water droplets or small flies buzzing around the cage. I have a melleri who likes to shoot his tongue out at my GF and I when we are in the room. He has done it for so long we just ignore him. I think he figures that if he does that, we'll feed him...... but we don't lol.

I have a mellers that does this to me! First time it freaked me out.

I have a mellers that does this to me! First time it freaked me out.

yeah, I worry about it... like why does he do this... but at the same time it's kind of cute. we just ignore him and he gets discouraged. I only pay attention to him when he is going to get fed. It is very odd though. He's even come up behind me while I am working on the free range and shot me in the back of the head.... LOL like he would be able to eat my head?! LOL

yeah, I worry about it... like why does he do this... but at the same time it's kind of cute. we just ignore him and he gets discouraged. I only pay attention to him when he is going to get fed. It is very odd though. He's even come up behind me while I am working on the free range and shot me in the back of the head.... LOL like he would be able to eat my head?! LOL

Maybe they see stuff we don't...

lol maybe? I just think they feel they'll get our attention that way and get food. Maybe at some point i would feed him after he did it.... and then he learned that was a way to get food? Or.... just... hes odd? i dunno. I don't starve him, he gets plenty of food so I don't worry too much about it.

my male veiled just shot at my eyelash today,and my fingers too! i was holding a cricket(he likes to eat from my hands and anywhere else,not picky lol,not starving either lol) he kept looking at me and then he would shoot at me..funny little dude he is..im not to sure how old he is as i purchased him from a pet store that had no idea..he is in length from nose to his bumn about the length of my hand from finger tip to wrist..any ideas on age anyone?? i am thinking maybe 5-7 mnths old??

lol maybe? I just think they feel they'll get our attention that way and get food. Maybe at some point i would feed him after he did it.... and then he learned that was a way to get food? Or.... just... hes odd? i dunno. I don't starve him, he gets plenty of food so I don't worry too much about it.

I only have 1 mellers but I'm pretty sure they can never eat enough. Just ask them...

my male veiled just shot at my eyelash today,and my fingers too! i was holding a cricket(he likes to eat from my hands and anywhere else,not picky lol,not starving either lol) he kept looking at me and then he would shoot at me..funny little dude he is..im not to sure how old he is as i purchased him from a pet store that had no idea..he is in length from nose to his bumn about the length of my hand from finger tip to wrist..any ideas on age anyone?? i am thinking maybe 5-7 mnths old??

haha I got shot in the eye once. An odd view when you aren't expecting it... because you don't blink until the last second you see the whole tongue coming at you like it were a movie lol

I only have 1 mellers but I'm pretty sure they can never eat enough. Just ask them...

Melleri are pigs.... but it is very critical that we watch how much we feed them because they will eat till they make themselves sick... literally. They can get fatty liver disease and it's hard to recover a overweight melleri. I've had to do it.... took about two years to lower his intake and get him back on track. Hes still an eager eater, but I just watch what he eats and how much.

Back
Top Bottom