Shooting Gallery vs Full Throttle Feeder

RescueMom

Avid Member
I've been using the Shooting Gallery for my Cham and he's been using it for the most part, but he does want the crickets to move around more and they have a tendency to get really still. :cautious:

Now we have a new problem. I'm getting his crickets at a new store that has the best crickets I've ever gotten! They are big, healthy, and they must be super smart because they sit on the screen, turn slightly sideways and then just jump right out into the cage o_O.

The idea of the Full Throttle feeder seems great, but I can't imagine how they stay in the feeder cup. I would think these supersonic crickets would just go right up that run and jump out.

Can anyone tell me how they stay in? or if they stay in? I don't want to spend the money on it if they're going to just do the same thing as they're doing in the shooting gallery. 🦗 Geronimo

I've been using the Shooting Gallery for my Cham and he's been using it for the most part, but he does want the crickets to move around more and they have a tendency to get really still. :cautious:

Now we have a new problem. I'm getting his crickets at a new store that has the best crickets I've ever gotten! They are big, healthy, and they must be super smart because they sit on the screen, turn slightly sideways and then just jump right out into the cage o_O.

The idea of the Full Throttle feeder seems great, but I can't imagine how they stay in the feeder cup. I would think these supersonic crickets would just go right up that run and jump out.

Can anyone tell me how they stay in? or if they stay in? I don't want to spend the money on it if they're going to just do the same thing as they're doing in the shooting gallery. 🦗 Geronimo
I have had both. Crickets stay better in the shooting gallery. The full throttle feeder they can pop out of pretty easily. I have found that placement matters with both feeders. They need to be able to look into the feeder. I always position mine below basking level.

I've made DIY versions of both types, and the crix have jumped out of both.
Eventually, the SG type became more of a pain, so I just use the FT type and a bird feeder cup for worms & roaches.

Just the past few days I figured out how to lure the cham to the cricket feeder, so they have less time to jump out except that sometimes he strikes 2 at once, and one just bounces out. 🤷‍♂️

The most escape-resistant (I'm convinced there's no such thing as escape-proof) feeder I've heard of (but not tried) is a clear sphere with an opening at the top. Something like this but a larger sphere with a smaller opening.
https://www.amazon.com/Tfwadmx-Cham...ca6cf&pd_rd_wg=YuDRY&pd_rd_i=B07VDCNSL3&psc=1

1626463244825.png

I have had both. Crickets stay better in the shooting gallery. The full throttle feeder they can pop out of pretty easily. I have found that placement matters with both feeders. They need to be able to look into the feeder. I always position mine below basking level.

I've made DIY versions of both types, and the crix have jumped out of both.
Eventually, the SG type became more of a pain, so I just use the FT type and a bird feeder cup for worms & roaches.

Just the past few days I figured out how to lure the cham to the cricket feeder, so they have less time to jump out except that sometimes he strikes 2 at once, and one just bounces out. 🤷‍♂️

The most escape-resistant (I'm convinced there's no such thing as escape-proof) feeder I've heard of (but not tried) is a clear sphere with an opening at the top. Something like this but a larger sphere with a smaller opening.
https://www.amazon.com/Tfwadmx-Cham...ca6cf&pd_rd_wg=YuDRY&pd_rd_i=B07VDCNSL3&psc=1

View attachment 305666
This answered my question, as I suspected

Thanks!

The most escape-resistant (I'm convinced there's no such thing as escape-proof) feeder I've heard of (but not tried) is a clear sphere with an opening at the top.
Great in theory, but I tried this method about a month and a half ago and it went terribly wrong. Poor girl shot her tongue at the side of the sphere instead of going over to eat from the top. Not fun for either of us.

Great in theory, but I tried this method about a month and a half ago and it went terribly wrong. Poor girl shot her tongue at the side of the sphere instead of going over to eat from the top. Not fun for either of us.
Oh noooooooo! Well if I hadn't already decided against it, I would have decided it against it now!

Poor thing! Hope she recovered 😔

Oh noooooooo! Well if I hadn't already decided against it, I would have decided it against it now!

Poor thing! Hope she recovered 😔
She's alright! Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Luckily her tongue didn't stick too bad. She had a hornworm treat to bright her spirits afterward. And we are back to using our full throttle feeder 🤷‍♀️ if the crickets hop out, she hunts them down eventually.

She's alright! Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Luckily her tongue didn't stick too bad. She had a hornworm treat to bright her spirits afterward. And we are back to using our full throttle feeder 🤷‍♀️ if the crickets hop out, she hunts them down eventually.
All's well that ends well 🙃

No matter what you pick avoid anything clear for the reason mentioned above. I helped test some of the early versions of the Shooting Gallery so they could see if Jackson's would use them. The first thing they ruled out was making them clear to prevent tongue damage.

No matter what you pick avoid anything clear for the reason mentioned above. I helped test some of the early versions of the Shooting Gallery so they could see if Jackson's would use them. The first thing they ruled out was making them clear to prevent tongue damage.
Looks like I'll just stick with the shooting gallery and the escaping crickets 🦗 Geronimo

OK, then substitute opaque for clear. Mine knows the opaque cup is where the worms & roaches are; he should be able to figure it out for crickets.

Back
Top Bottom