Shivering

KhameleonMomz

Established Member
Do chameleon’s shiver when they are called? Like full body shiver. My Cham did it today and it freaked me out. It’s 12 degrees in south texas which is highly unusual. I’ve done everything I can to keep his temperature raised to normal levels but it’s just so hard with this weather. My room does not get insulation and so a portable heater is the best I can do to keep the room warm. We also have 2 heaters in his enclosure instead of 1 for now. I just want to know if this is a sign of something else or if it’s because of the cold.

Do chameleon’s shiver when they are called? Like full body shiver. My Cham did it today and it freaked me out. It’s 12 degrees in south texas which is highly unusual. I’ve done everything I can to keep his temperature raised to normal levels but it’s just so hard with this weather. My room does not get insulation and so a portable heater is the best I can do to keep the room warm. We also have 2 heaters in his enclosure instead of 1 for now. I just want to know if this is a sign of something else or if it’s because of the cold.

Was it a prolonged shake or just a quick one and done? My male veiled does this every once in awhile, usually first thing in the morning after a big yawn.😉
It was a quick shiver, I’ve only noticed him doing it since it’s gotten cold. He’s done it about 3 times over the past 6 weeks.

No they don't shiver when they're cold. What are the temps in the room?
The temps in the room without the heater have been about 48-50 degrees. Nolan’s thermometer reads that it is 68 degrees in the mid section of the tank and I’m assuming it’s hotter on his basking branch but I don’t think it’s hot enough for him. At night the temp in his tank drops to about 55-60 degrees. We have a ceramic heater for him at night.

I don’t know for sure. Since their not warm blooded and in general their metabolism doesn’t produce heat like a mammal would, I don’t think shivering would provide additional heat for them 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I know that’s why I’m very confused. I don’t know if he was just angry for no reason or what.

The temps in the room without the heater have been about 48-50 degrees. Nolan’s thermometer reads that it is 68 degrees in the mid section of the tank and I’m assuming it’s hotter on his basking branch but I don’t think it’s hot enough for him. At night the temp in his tank drops to about 55-60 degrees. We have a ceramic heater for him at night.

Those temps aren't low at all. Most chameleons can handle temps down into the 40s even at night without a problem. I wouldn't use a heater at night unless it's consistently staying in the mid to low 40s.

Those temps aren't low at all. Most chameleons can handle temps down into the 40s even at night without a problem. I wouldn't use a heater at night unless it's consistently staying in the mid to low 40s.
Okay! I’ve just been really worried since texas barely gets cold let alone snow, we were not prepared for it.

Back
Top Bottom