shipyourreptile and reptile express shutdown

reptoman

Avid Member
Got this email today so thought I would share:

Brian,
Both company's are shut down First Syr then us here is a copy of the letter from owners
I wanted to explain the current situation with RE and UPS. We have a few people in corporate UPS that have been battling for RE and the reptile industry. There was only 2 more issues we have been working with UPS to find a permanent solution to: Snake Shipping and 3rd party billing (reselling labels). Early this week we made a huge step forward and got waiver free snake shipping approved with UPS through RE. Today we received some very bad news from UPS. The folks in UPS that have been working very hard to get these issues approved lost a very important battle today. We have been told that UPS has sent out a cease and desist order to SYR and pulled there accounts. They told RE today that they can not keep the lawyers from sending the same letter to us. We have been told are accounts are still active and we will need to wait for some of the fires to be put out before they will allow RE as a reseller of shipping labels to the reptile industry. We have 6 months of emails and phone calls assuring RE that our website and business plan was approved before we officially launched our site and most of the problems we have had are from outside pressure being applied to UPS. We will continue to work with UPS to work out this unfortunately series of events and will do everything we can to offer reasonable overnight reptile shipping in the future. We have removed the label option from our website until further notice. We wanted to apologize to all of our members and promise we will do everything possible to work this out with UPS. I placed a call to Chad at SYR today to see if we can work together with UPS to resolve these issues. I have not received a call back. I think at this point we just need to work with UPS together and stop the heat that is being applied at the corporate office. Thanks for the support and please post this in the other forums. We can't hit them all.

--
Thank You,
Debbie Price
[email protected]
404-477-4102

After checking the cost going straight through UPS from TX to CA I thought this was too good to last. SYR and RE cost was 60% of straight UPS! At least I was able to sneak one in just under the wire.

THis is a huge bummer:( Hopefully they get everything taken care of quickly. Looks like I just eeked by shipping my package last week.

bad news

ack I have a cham suppose to be going out Monday (instate)

Are we just not allowed to buy shipping labels from SYR and RE? or are we not allowed to ship live animals UPS at all?!?

ack I have a cham suppose to be going out Monday (instate)

Are we just not allowed to buy shipping labels from SYR and RE? or are we not allowed to ship live animals UPS at all?!?

Its still OK to ship a reptile however (like it always has been) it is NOT ok to ship snakes. People shipping them incorrectly is what caused this problem in the first place. You will have to get a shipping account directly with UPS, which unless you dont have a large volume then you dont get lower shipping cost.

I have only shipped with UPS through SYR and recently RE and have had no major problems that couldn't be fixed with a phone call..

I have heard mixed things about using Fedex, but then also have heard the same good/bad things about UPS.

I read on Fauna that fedex requires you to be certified to ship a live harmless reptile and you have to send a test box in to be approved. Where as UPS requires no certification. I am going to look more into it

I would never use USPS for a live shipment. I have heard it is very VERY unreliable. and I am not sure if it is even allowed..?

I did received a lizard from someone thro USPS once and the box said nothing on the outside about a live animal enclosed.. I know that is the shippers responsibility, but it made me feel like he was trying to 'sneak' it through the US mail.

When shipping through Fedex don't you have to in a sense relinquish any liabilty to the company, so basically if they screw up your screwed?

When shipping through Fedex don't you have to in a sense relinquish any liabilty to the company, so basically if they screw up your screwed?

I know both FedEx Nd UPS do not insure packages that contain something perishable . So even if you shipping a $300 chameleon and it dies due to UPS losing the package, they will not be held responsibl because it was a perishable item. All they do do is guarantee arrival by a certain time....so if your package arrives late , then you can get your postage refunded. But the animals inside are not insured. That's why it is importaint to pack the animals properly and track them until they arrive...
I have had a few occasions where I had to call UPS and track down a package i sent out.

Back
Top Bottom