Shipping anxiety!

Long story short: lil buddy didn't get shipped out last night. I spent the better part of 2hrs fighting with my local FedEx office. Apparently, I was supposed to take him to the "hub"? This info I didn't have and it took them 10 phone calls to direct me in the right direction. So frustrating. He'll be shipping out on Monday. Poor guy has to be boxed up twice. :mad:

One way to check for a "hub" is to filter on additional services from the main fedex page. For example, put in the zipcode of the area you want to ship to, select all locations, then filter on additional services selecting "hold for pickup" and "ship dangerous goods". Only a FedEx hub will have those services available. Hope all goes well. I have been shipping on a regular basis for a few years now and it really doesn't get any easier worrying about the box, especially in the summer where it can be disastrous if there is a problem along the way. I also use phase 22 cryopaks and have found that they don't get the box too cold initially, and will keep the box cool enough to be comfortable much much longer than a regular gel pack.

Long story short: lil buddy didn't get shipped out last night. I spent the better part of 2hrs fighting with my local FedEx office. Apparently, I was supposed to take him to the "hub"? This info I didn't have and it took them 10 phone calls to direct me in the right direction. So frustrating. He'll be shipping out on Monday. Poor guy has to be boxed up twice. :mad:

That's strange. I usually just schedule a pick up and have the cham all boxed and ready to go in the time I set (usually between 5:00 and 6:00 pm). Fedex truck comes to the house and picks up the box..no questions asked

You can schedule a pick up when you buy your label, or sign up for an account on fedex website and do it that way. The service is $5 I think but it takes some hassle out if it .

Ah, yea, you can't go to a FedEx office/Kinkos to drop off an animal (or a UPS store). Because they only get packages picked up a couple times daily, where as a hub has much more activity coming in and out.

Any FedEx location can accept the package. That is a real FedEx office not one at some store. They often refuse to accept. That is why ship you reptiles has a label you put on the box with the contract number to ship live animals. And Still! There are a few who just will not accept the package. I always think, I would not want that kind of jerk near my Cham anyway.

We will do this Monday and all will be fine. Just be calm new daddy shipper.:):)

Thanks for all of the info and support. I did call Debbie at you know where and she did mention the pick up service. I brought this up to the courier on-site and she couldn't/wouldn't guarantee that they'd pick it up. So, I will just drop the lil guy off at the hub on Monday. :rolleyes:

*** Edit *** I did call the buyer and he is cool and understood my situation. :)

Ah, yea, you can't go to a FedEx office/Kinkos to drop off an animal (or a UPS store). Because they only get packages picked up a couple times daily, where as a hub has much more activity coming in and out.

They wouldn't accept him because reptiles are classified as "dangerous goods". :rolleyes:

I used to worry!. But i have shipped quite a few reptiles under almost every weather condition imaginable and all was well.. Usually to a shipper hub "hold for pick up"... I've only shipped to actual addresses 2 times and it was a low 70* day and 50* night condition.

I also try to package and drop off as late as possible. Fortunate for me my UPS and FedEx stores take their last shipments (for overnight) at 9pm. So i package at around 8pm, take the 5 minute walk to the store and they are usually "ready for pick up" at around 9am. 12 hour transit doesn't take a told on the animal once well packaged.

I've also adopted a technique from back when i got my bradypodion shipments from Germany.

They ship in a wire cube framed net sack. This way there is open space and the smaller chams have the netting to hold onto while being bumped around during transit. In a deli cup (although it works, and i've used it) the cham is not able to grasp anything thats stationary and usually ends up flopping around in the cup holding onto whatever padding it offered (tissues, paper towel, etc).

I'll post some pix later.

I've also adopted a technique from back when i got my bradypodion shipments from Germany.

They ship in a wire cube framed net sack. This way there is open space and the smaller chams have the netting to hold onto while being bumped around during transit. In a deli cup (although it works, and i've used it) the cham is not able to grasp anything thats stationary and usually ends up flopping around in the cup holding onto whatever padding it offered (tissues, paper towel, etc).

I'll post some pix later.

Sweet! Can't wait to see this!

Here's the alpha that didn't get shipped out on Wednesday. Man, he sure is pretty. :) Patrick, in Minnesota, is gonna be a happy camper come Tuesday morning!

habypuna.jpg

jytamyru.jpg

mu4ypuse.jpg

2ubyreqe.jpg

ypybyhuq.jpg

2u9epy5u.jpg

Ok I will be waiting to see all is well. Let me know when you get home.

How is the junk I sent you working out?

Ok! He is at the hub! We have liftoff!! Thanks for holding my hand through all of this, y'all!! :D

The eagle has landed! Patrick has sent me pics of a healthy Cham! :D A little stressed, but alive!

Back
Top Bottom